The ten words

Thoughts, questions, and discussions of all topics pertaining to Torah
Forum rules
1. Polite discourse only. No ad hominem attacks or any other name-calling
2. No politics.
3. No comparative religion, no bashing other religions.
4. NO MISSIONARIES! Not even for Karaites.
5. Moderators may delete or break links to other web sites.
6. This is an Orthodox forum. Attacks on Halacha will not be tolerated.
7. Moderators reserve full rights to edit and delete posts, and ban users.

The ten words

Postby ittai » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:45 pm

The ten words
The ten commandments is a wrong translation. Instead Deuteronomium 10:4 in Hebrew says ”the ten words” (devarim). Each of the five first words contains the expresion ”the Lord your God” and the five first words call us to love him and the five last words call us to love each others. The first word, not a commandment, says:
Exodus 20:2 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.”

(God is Saver and he is ”I am” and he is the Lord, translated ”Makes to be”.
Therefore we love him.)

Exodus 20:3-6 “You shall have no other gods before Me.You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My Commandments.
Exodus 20: 7 “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.

(Therefore in the scriptures to the question ”Are you that and that” is answered ”your servant is” and not ”I am”.)
Exodus 20:8-11“Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

Another form of the Sabbath command:
Deuteronomium 5:15 5  Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the Lord your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the Lord your God has commanded you to observe the Sabbath day.

(Because of God´s good deed mentioned in the second form it is allowed to do good deeds in the Sabbath day.)
Exodus 20:12“Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the your God is giving you.

(Honoring father and mother is honoring God. In general honored my father and mother but once I spoke bad words to my father. The same day the father lost his conciousness. Laying on the ground I prayed as never else ”Give my father back”. In each of the next 30 days I went to the hospital to see my father. Then I saw the father lying with opened eye. I said: Father forgive me. Yes, he answered. He lived after that 2 years. I told not to anybody what had happened. After the funeral my mother and I were asked by the congregation to arrange a remembrance situation. A speaker read from the Bible: ”Deliver me from bloodguiltiness”. I knew: The heavens, too ,had forgiven me my sin.

Exodus 20:13 “You shall not murder.
Exodus 20:14 “You shall not commit adultery.
Exodus 20:15 “You shall not steal.
Exodus 20:16 “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
Exodus 20:17 “You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.”
ittai

Re: The ten words

Postby David_L » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:16 am

The ten commandments is a wrong translation.

That's correct. Jews are obligated to observe the 613 mitzvos (commandments). Non-Jews, as well as Jews, are obligated to observe the Seven Laws of Noah.

One commentary I've seen describes the "ten commandments" as categories for the 613 mitzvos.
David_L

Re: The ten words

Postby ittai » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:14 pm

Yeshayahu 28:10 For it is precept by precept, precept by precept, line by line, line by line; here a little, there a little.
ittai

Return to Torah Forum