Announcements

Thoughts, questions, and discussions of all topics pertaining to Torah
Forum rules
1. Polite discourse only. No ad hominem attacks or any other name-calling
2. No politics.
3. No comparative religion, no bashing other religions.
4. NO MISSIONARIES! Not even for Karaites.
5. Moderators may delete or break links to other web sites.
6. This is an Orthodox forum. Attacks on Halacha will not be tolerated.
7. Moderators reserve full rights to edit and delete posts, and ban users.

Announcements

Postby Hart60 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:59 pm

Would it be a good idea to have an announcement thread ?

Hart.
Hart60

Re: Announcements

Postby Kira » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:44 pm

Forums usually do, don't they.

We don't tend to have anything to announce. But maybe we should. Like when people go on an extended vacation, so we don't start worrying about them.

This whole "forum going down" thing caught us by surprise, btw. Would have been nice to have been warned, but we were all in the same boat.

-Kira
Kira

Postby Kira » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:56 pm

Wait - here's an announcement:

You can spell G-d with the "o" if you're so inclined.

I personally will continue to spell it with the dash.

Please DO capitalize it. That person who thought that it was ok to write it lower-case was breaking not only the rules of the previous forum but also the rules of English capitalization.

-Kira
Kira

Postby just-me » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:10 pm

It's a nice forum layout, I like it better than the old one. And we can put smileys more easily. Can we use avatars as well?
Thanks for continuing on yourselves. May I ask why the forum was no longer wanted?

About G-d ...
Why is it that Aish, for example, has printouts of prayers where they spell out God and as well the Hebrew name. Is it not that the paper must be specially treated then or did I get something wrong? I printed it out on ordinary paper and everything.

just-me
for, he reasons pointedly,
that which must not, can not be.

(Christian Morgenstern - The Impossible Fact)
just-me

Postby Kira » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:30 pm

The Halacha, according to most people, is that it's not a problem if it's in English.

If it's one of G-d's names that cannot be erased, or verses from the Torah, it's not that it can't be printed, it's that the paper can't be thrown in the trash.

About "not being wanted" - in order for this forum to represent the views of Project Genesis, they would have to have a moderator on the board. They haven't had the bandwidth to do so in years. It's not that our views are divergent from theirs in any significant way (in my opinion), but they're entitled to feel that to host something and put their name on it requires a degree of supervision. It's an amicable parting of ways, and they were kind enough to put the link up.

-Kira
Kira

Postby Poster » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:35 pm

I feel it's best to use whichever is best understood by the other person.

If that is not a problem, then I try to go by what they prefer.
Poster

Postby just-me » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:44 pm

If it's one of G-d's names that cannot be erased, or verses from the Torah, it's not that it can't be printed, it's that the paper can't be thrown in the trash.

Then what has to happen with it if it has the tetragrammaton on it? I don't want to throw it away now but it would be good to know. I've printed it out several times.

About "not being wanted" - in order for this forum to represent the views of Project Genesis, they would have to have a moderator on the board. They haven't had the bandwidth to do so in years. It's not that our views are divergent from theirs in any significant way (in my opinion), but they're entitled to feel that to host something and put their name on it requires a degree of supervision. It's an amicable parting of ways, and they were kind enough to put the link up.

I understand. Hopefully you will have less work here with spammers and won't be busy with deleting things all the time.

just-me
for, he reasons pointedly,
that which must not, can not be.

(Christian Morgenstern - The Impossible Fact)
just-me

Postby Enora » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:21 pm

Wait - here's an announcement:

You can spell G-d with the "o" if you're so inclined.

;) yay
Enora

Postby Hart60 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:29 pm

Yea, that's the sorta thing I had in mind.

Also -
I normally sign off as Hart, from now on I will sign off as Dan,more friendly I think.

Dan.
Hart60

Postby Hart60 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:52 pm

just-me wrote:It's a nice forum layout, I like it better than the old one. And we can put smileys more easily. Can we use avatars as well?
just-me
Yes avatars would be good or an option to upload a small pic. of ourselves .I've just been playing around in my user control panel and there's an option to pick an avatar but nothing happens, is it still being updated ?

Dan.
Hart60

Next

Return to Torah Forum