Unusual foods, shabbat restrictions

Thoughts, questions, and discussions of all topics pertaining to Torah
Forum rules
1. Polite discourse only. No ad hominem attacks or any other name-calling
2. No politics.
3. No comparative religion, no bashing other religions.
4. NO MISSIONARIES! Not even for Karaites.
5. Moderators may delete or break links to other web sites.
6. This is an Orthodox forum. Attacks on Halacha will not be tolerated.
7. Moderators reserve full rights to edit and delete posts, and ban users.

Re: Unusual foods, shabbat restrictions

Postby Hart60 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:20 pm

Yea, it's OK if you like the kind of humour that takes the mick out of other people, but Hey ! I'm of the age that I can be considered a grumpy old man, it's great - ;)

Dan.
Hart60

Postby Roo » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:54 pm

Funny but pathetic film clip. My 10 year old daughter couldn't get over the eruv hat and the ham and milk.
Roo
Roo

Postby Enora » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:39 pm

Enora, sephardim may not use them (I don't think that's entirely true, actually), but ashkenazim do throughout Europe and in Israel -- not just in the US

Duh silly, I know ashkenazim use them elsewhere lol that's not what I meant. I meant american jews fussing over such nonsense. Like they don't have other issues to fight over!? Or unite over?
The sephardi eruv is not as "broad" as the ashkenazi eruv (difference in the notion of private domaine). However in Israel I believe many, if not most sephardim do. In sephardi circles, if you never have really relied upon an eruv, it is encouraged that you continue not to BUT for the sake of those that would otherwise transgress, more sephardi rabbanim are accepting eruvim in cities. I believe Strasbourg is the only city in France with an eruv. There is only ONE in paris lol, it's a building where so many jews live that in our community we refer to it as "the Ghetto". Otherwise we're quite deprived of eruvim.
Enora

Postby rivka » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:45 pm

Do you think what is REALLY being fought over in that community is the eruv?
rivka

Postby Enora » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:41 am

rivka wrote:Do you think what is REALLY being fought over in that community is the eruv?

The eruv, the orthodox the whatever, you have to be relatively comfortable (as jews in a host country) to start having these kinds of issues amongst jews.
Enora

Postby rivka » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:47 am

True. Which is why the interviewer's comments about the traditional "keep out" -- aimed at ALL Jews -- was both funny and quite sad.
rivka

Postby Kira » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:11 pm

The interviewer was actually unusually sensitive to the irony of Jews wanting to keep out other Jews.

He made fun of the "loophole" aspect of the Eiruv, sure, but mostly it was about how trivial it is as a cause to fight against, and that it just shows that those that protest simply feel threatened by frum Jews.

-Kira
Kira

Postby rivka » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:08 pm

Exactly.
rivka

Postby Roo » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:27 am

My daughter asked me if the black gentleman (the interviewer) was Jewish. I told her that American blacks that generally not Jewish. She also found him very sensitive to the Jewish issue.
Roo

Postby Hart60 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:55 am

Sensitive to the Jewish issue ! I need to watch it again, I must have missed something.
Hart60

PreviousNext

Return to Torah Forum