gossip

Thoughts, questions, and discussions of all topics pertaining to Torah
Forum rules
1. Polite discourse only. No ad hominem attacks or any other name-calling
2. No politics.
3. No comparative religion, no bashing other religions.
4. NO MISSIONARIES! Not even for Karaites.
5. Moderators may delete or break links to other web sites.
6. This is an Orthodox forum. Attacks on Halacha will not be tolerated.
7. Moderators reserve full rights to edit and delete posts, and ban users.

gossip

Postby aries » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:28 pm

So it says do not go gossiping.
Rashi says if you change the gimmel for the kaff (which happens all the time in Hebrew), then you get spying around. Do not go spying around or in Rashi French espeiment which become espionage in English.
Rashi then wants to explain the Targum, one should not go eating kritzim (winking). He says that the gossiper would share a small snack with the listener to show that he is telling the real dirt (wink, wink). The Ramban says that this is silly. If there was such a custom, the Targum wouldn't waste anytime mentioning it, it mean go listening around.

I saw a TV movie of one of the Jane Austin books. Two old biddies would sit by the stagecoach station and see who get on and off. They would then run to tell everyone who arrived. Now the more gentile ladies would not stick their heads out the window to ask but would immediately invite the two old biddies for a cup of tea with a scone.
So maybe the custom wasn't as obscure at the Ramban thinks.
Aryeh Shore
aries

Re: gossip

Postby Kira » Wed May 11, 2011 7:31 am

There are places where gossip is a way of life

Where's this Rashi, exactly?

-Kira
Kira

Postby Hart60 » Sun May 15, 2011 9:36 pm

Curtain twitchers -
Strange thing, my neighbour came to see me when I returned home from hospital after my heart attack,she said she'd heard about my illness from her friend that lives half a mile away on the other side of the Village when she visited her.It's customary to offer at least a cup of tea when a neighbour calls. The interesting thing is that the person who informed my neighour of my illness is housebound through illness herself.
I guess my illness could have enhanced the sale of tea from our local shop. ;)

Dan.
Hart60

Postby aries » Thu May 26, 2011 5:49 pm

לֹא תֵלֵךְ רָכִיל בְּעַמֶּיךָ, לֹא תַעֲמֹד עַל דַּם רֵעֶךָ, אֲנִי ה' (ויקרא י"ט 16)

leviticus 19:16
Aryeh Shore
aries

Return to Torah Forum