Exceptional mem sofit

Thoughts, questions, and discussions of all topics pertaining to Torah
Forum rules
1. Polite discourse only. No ad hominem attacks or any other name-calling
2. No politics.
3. No comparative religion, no bashing other religions.
4. NO MISSIONARIES! Not even for Karaites.
5. Moderators may delete or break links to other web sites.
6. This is an Orthodox forum. Attacks on Halacha will not be tolerated.
7. Moderators reserve full rights to edit and delete posts, and ban users.

Exceptional mem sofit

Postby ittai » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:17 pm

For me mem is the letter of "majm", waters. The upper part of mem looks like wells of the sea. Mem is open from beneath, mem sofit closed from beneath. Before and during conception the womb of the mother is open from beneath. After the conception of the child the womb is filled with waters and closed from beneath. The same way mem sofit is closed from beneath.

Jesh 9:6 mentions "A child has been born". The following verse continues this using mem sofit before the end of the word as if the womb be closed before and during the conception.
ittai

Re: Exceptional mem sofit

Postby ittai » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:52 am

Addition: Zohar mentions: The sum of the number values of "sheharachamaah seguuraah", "which is the womb closed" is 837,
the same as the sum of the number values of "lem(mem sofit)arbeh", "to the greatness".
ittai

Postby ess76 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:10 pm

The Tora was not originally written in this script, and the mem did not look this way when the book of Yesha'yahu was written. The letter mem was not closed. Also, final-letter forms did not yet exist.

The Tora was originally written using this script: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleo-Hebrew_alphabet
ess76

Postby mariaw » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:48 pm

Dear ittai,
I would love to share this very interesting idea with you. I use The Stone Edition of Tanach from Artscroll.

I'm sure you have heard that the child in Isaiah 9.5 is Israel.

The "child" you mentioned in Isaiah is also the suffering servant in Isaiah 42.
These include Israel, Samson & Joshua.

The Torah's description of "servant" is a composite of Israel including the voice not heard
or silence in Jericho streets until Joshuah gives the order. (Isaiah 42.1) So the "voice" doesn't stay silent.

Isaiah 42.4----"He will not shout nor raise his voice, nor make his voice heard in the street." ( Jos. 6.10)
Joshua commanded the people, saying, You shall not cry out, and you shall not let your voice be heard, nor shall any word issue from your mouth, until the day I tell you to cry out--then you shall cry out."

Isaiah 42.3----"He will not break even a bruised reed." (11 Kings 18.21) The king of Assyria accuses Israel of relying on Egypt who the Assyrian king claims is like a splintered cane or broken reed, whatever.

Isaiah 42.4----He will not extinguish even flickering flax: (Judges 15.14)

The men of Judah arrest Samson & tie his hands with two new ropes. When the spirit of HASHEM came upon Samson, the ropes tying his hands became like flax singed with fire, his bonds melted from upon his hands.

Justice in truth is not administered to Jericho & all of Israel is silent until Joshua gives the command to shout.
So this "silence" didn't last forever & neither does the bonds of burning flax that tied Samson's hands.

Justice is not administed to Assyrian king until he falsley accuses Israel of depending on Egypt
who seems to be a broken reed when in fact Israel is depending on HASHEM for help.

Samson can't administer justice in truth until HASHEM loosens his hands bound in ropes made of flax.

Nothing gets done & justice in truth is not administered until the spirit of HASHEM arrives upon Israel's face
& reveals the Light, so to speak. The Light is Torah.

Well anyway, I find this fascinating!
mariaw
mariaw

Postby ittai » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:21 am

I'm sure you have heard that the child in Isaiah 9.5 is Israel.

If so then Israel has the name "El gibor".
Jacob received the name "Fights El", not the name "El".
ittai

Postby mariaw » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:44 pm

Dear ittai,
Thanks so much for responding & you are correct.

I included Isaiah 42.3 and tried to compare it with 11 Kings 18.21,
but I left out Hezekiah's name.
Hezekiah is the child in Isaiah 9 & I was attempting to make a composite of G-d's suffering servant.
11 Kings 18.21 also includes the righteous king Hezekiah in the debate with the Assyrian king
who is accusing the kingdom of Judah of relying on Egypt instead of HASHEM. Egypt is called a broken reed.
The Assyrian king, Sennacherib, has sent messages to Hezekiah to insult the living G-d of Israel. (19.16)

I've attempted to see a composite of the righteous who, as a whole, are called Israel.
I just didn't mention Hezekiah's name.
Isaiah 9.2 may even include Mordechai & his niece, Esther, as they also exalted the nation & increased its gladness & joy especially after Haman is hanged. He is also a liar & accuser of Israel.
I see the child "Prince of Peace" in Exodus 4.22 "So said HASHEM, My firstborn son is Israel."

Thanks again, attai. I appreciate your response.
mariaw
mariaw

Postby ittai » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:50 pm

Let us look at Neh 2:13:

And I went out by night by the valley gate, even toward the dragon's well, and to the dung gate, and viewed the walls of Jerusalem,
which were broken down, and the gates thereof were consumed with fire.

Here there is an exceptional mem sofit in the word "which", that is, "hem".
This mem sofit is open from beneath as Jerushalajim was open for enemy.

And let us see Job 38:1:

Then the Shem answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said:

We see here is an exceptional nun sofit in "out of", that is, "min". The high letter is now low.
There is no shelter against him.
ittai

Postby mariaw » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:49 pm

Dear Attai,

I'm not sure I understand, however, the graphics & light of the exceptional mem sofit reminds me of a jug.

The "dominion will rest on his shoulder" might give me a clue about the mem sofit's location.
I think the mem resembles the ancient water jugs of middle east that were generally balanced on the shoulders of women for transporting water. There is only one time that Torah records men transporting light in these jugs
& the day of Midian is mentioned in Isaiah 9.3.

Gideon's 300 men carry jugs filled with torch light & shofars up the hill to smash & create shock & awe within the enemy.
They used light & sound ("for HASHEM & for Gideon") to win the battle. (Judges 7.16)
There was no tumultuous battle & no garments wallowed in blood.

Torah is represented by Water & Light.

Rebecca graciously provides Abraham's servant with a drink from the well & also waters his camels.
This is a sign for Abraham's servant that the righteous Rebecca will be Isaac's future wife. (Genesis 24.42)

The amazing & wonderful thing about Torah Light is the kind & gentle influence the fathers & mothers
of the Jewish nation have on future generations even after the original vessels holding the light have long since broken.
They are like stars from a million years back who have blinked out & yet the light from their love continues to comfort & guide because they lovingly handed Torah down to their children.

Thank you so much for your inspiration.
mariaw
mariaw

Postby mariaw » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:39 pm

Gmorning, Ittai

I have a question? If the mem sofit in the middle of the word is a jug holding light as in the Gideon's day of Midian mentioned in Isaiah 9.3; wouldn't the mem sofit in this example be OPEN????

If you stick a torch in a vessel or container of any type, and stick a lid on it,
the light would either dim or be extinguished.

Rebeccah providing water for Abraham's servant & his camels includes the fact
that she tipped over the jug to pour out the water. This was a sign to the servant that Rebecca
was a fit & suitable bride for Isaac. Genesis 24:18 "She said, 'Drink, my lord,
' and quickly she lowered her jug to her hand and gave him to drink." Her jug isn't closed!

It s strange to me but the Hebrew word for jug, I think, is Kad.
Isn't this part of the word "kaddish" which according to a certain Jewish site
says is "essence a prayer of praise for G-d. It was written in Aramaic, the common language
in Talmudic times, to ensure that everyone understood what was being said."

This prayer of praise for G-d makes sense as Gideon & his 300 men shout "for G-d & Gideon"
at the breaking of the pots with torches. The prayer of praise is also like a sign telling that something is "fit and suitable."

I realize that there are certain religious cults trying to storm the Jewish people
& misrepresenting the entire Isa. 9 chapter by "cherry picking" out certain sentences
& leaving out the rest.

The only way to end the debate is to understand the entire chapter &
all of the connecting data as properly transcribed in Torah.
The important message during Hezekiah's time is that Torah is correctly transcribed (Isaiah 10)

The Well is a deep subject,
mariaw
mariaw

Postby ittai » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:24 am

mariaw wrote:The amazing & wonderful thing about Torah Light is the kind & gentle influence the fathers & mothers
of the Jewish nation have on future generations even after the original vessels holding the light have long since broken.

Your word brought me in mind the next thing concerning father and mother:

The first five words of the ten words together are "Love HaShem", the last five words together are "Love your neighbour".
The fifth one of the ten words is "Honour your father and mother". So honouring father and mother is loving HaShem.
ittai

Next

Return to Torah Forum