Introductions - a place to get to know each other

Thoughts, questions, and discussions of all topics pertaining to Torah
Forum rules
1. Polite discourse only. No ad hominem attacks or any other name-calling
2. No politics.
3. No comparative religion, no bashing other religions.
4. NO MISSIONARIES! Not even for Karaites.
5. Moderators may delete or break links to other web sites.
6. This is an Orthodox forum. Attacks on Halacha will not be tolerated.
7. Moderators reserve full rights to edit and delete posts, and ban users.

Introductions - a place to get to know each other

Postby Kira » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:05 pm

Please address the following questions if you please:

What is your religious background?
What brought you to the Torah?
Where have you studied Torah?
What brought you to this particular forum?

What part of the world do you live in?
How shall we address you? (eg: your username, your first name, your title, initials, etc)

Anything else - family, etc

-Kira
Kira

Re: Introductions - a place to get to know each other

Postby LittleGator » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:58 pm

This is a lovely idea I posted my introduction in the Children of Noah section in the "what brought you to the path of a Noahide?" section. Should I rewrite it?
Fear and Love
Patience and Restraint
LittleGator

Postby Hart60 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:06 pm

Here is a link to the Noahide section intro. thread - :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19

Hope that's OK with everyone, can always delete it if not.
Dan.
Hart60

Postby LittleGator » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:23 pm

Thank you Mr Dan. I am a bit computer illiterate.
Fear and Love
Patience and Restraint
LittleGator

Postby Sander » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:01 am

What is your religious background?
My religious background is Jewish. My mother and father both jewish.
What brought you to the Torah?
I am not sure how to answer this question. I am not a ba'al teshuva, if that's what you mean. My parents sent me to hebrew school starting in kindergarten, but after grade four I went to public school and went to evening school for hebrew and tanach. When I was about 28 years old my grandmother died. While my father was saying kadish for her, I went to synagogue with him on Shabbat morning and fell in love with a lady that I saw there. Since my connection to her was at the synagogue and I wanted to see her, I started going to synagogue "religiously", but at that time my main motivation was to see the lady. During this time my father introduced me to older members of the minyan who taught me how to daven better so I could daven from the amud on weekdays schacharit, mincha and ma'ariv. I arranged with the cantor sheini to lehn on shabbat morning. I was permitted to lehn a single aliya, not the whole parsha. He would record 3 or 4 verses of lehning at a time on cassette tape recorder and I would memorize by rote. I bought a book explaining the ta'ameh mikrah so that I could figure out them out. After about 2 years of lehning by rote, the ta'ameh mikrah began to make sense to me and I began to be able to read them and prepare verse to lehn without having to get a tape recording from the cantor sheini. From going to minyan I began to learn some prayers by heart, then notice the same hebrew words in different prayers, and compare with the english translation, so my hebrew vocabulary began to expand. After about 3 years the lady I was interested in gave me a little speech telling me there was somebody else, so I lost her. But by that time I had lehned about 70 aliyahs on various shabbats and holiday through the year. Each time I was memorizing verses, so I was picking up knowledge of halacha here and there, from the chumash verses. Some things I memorized I knew the translation to english, but I didn't understand the significance; for example, the equipment and coverings in the mishkan. Also, as I was attending synagogue, I heard the rabbi explain things. The rabbi talks every day, if you go to synagogue and listen.
Where have you studied Torah?

From kindergarten to grade four I went to the Associated Hebrew Day School, on Neptune avenue, in Toronto Canada. After that I went to evening school until grade 12 at Beth Tzedec Congregation, 1700 Bathurst St, also in Toronto. When I was about 20, my mother asked me to start going with her on Tuesday nights to listen to a rabbi she liked at another synagogue, though my family continued to attend Beth Tzedec for shabbat and holidays.

What brought you to this particular forum?

I was very interested in internet, so a rabbi asked me to write complaint to yahoo because they allowed messianics to make chat rooms in the jewish section. I found it was useless to try to influence yahoo, because like the name says, they are full of yahoos. Since then their chat format changed and it is far far worse. But I found other chat site that had jewish classes, including rabbi Matt Hoffman of New Rochelle. One of the classes was run by Breslov Chassidus, teaching Rabbi Nachman's stories. A friend there knew about Torah.org, and introduced me to this forum. As internet developed, the jewish classes at the chat site abandoned that site, because the general milieu was immoral and it was entirely inappropriate for any rabbi to be conducting classes there. So Torah.org became more important to me. Nowdays, the jewish sites I visit most often are this site, Torahforum.org, and also chabad.org, and http://www.aishaudio.com.

What part of the world do you live in?

Toronto Canada. We have one of the largest jewish communities outside Israel. When I say jewish community, I mean people that actually go to jewish school for elementary grades, high school, yeshiva and kolel. I have heard that per capita hebrew education in Toronto is the highest in North America. I live in the suburb called Thornhill, with religious neighbors, though I am not religious myself. I have to live in the neighborhood near the synagogue, because without the neighbors i would get lost. This neighborhood has supermarket with kosher food, and jewish bookstore, synagogues, so it is easy for me. The neighbors invite me for shabbat and holidays to their homes.

How shall we address you? (eg: your username, your first name, your title, initials, etc)
My login in name is Sander, that is how to address me. You can call me Mister Sander, if you want to be extra polite.
Anything else - family, etc
I have two brothers but they don't live near synagogues. One brother still goes to Beth Tzedec congregation. The other brother became a stranger. I am single.

Sander

Postby Randy » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:31 am

What is your religious background?I am a Christian. Baptist by baptism, but I don't really adhere to the intangibles. Somehow, people of every religion think they have it right, but we are headed to destruction, not perfection, so obviously someone has it wrong.

What brought you to the Torah?I need answers. And I figured, "Hey Randy, why don't you go to the people who still read from the untranslated and who have an oral tradition about them". This is my thing, my "religion" is supposed to be based on Judeo-Christian beliefs. So why is it that the Christians disdain the teachings of the Judeo part of our basis? Please don't think that I am rude or brash, that is not my intent. I truly have a desire, no a need, to learn. I don't know what is driving me, but there is something wrong and I am compelled to find it.

Where have you studied Torah?Never have, but I have started trying to read what I can find. From what I have read in your previous posts, I feel enlightened. For the most part, Kira appears to be very well read and knowledgeable. Am I mistaken in that Kira is a female? If not, I am so sorry. No offense meant.

What brought you to this particular forum?Like I said earlier, I have been trying to read everything I can get my hands on. I am devouring internet pages at an astounding rate. Although, it doesn't take long to realize when someone is blowing smoke, so there is no need to read any further. Then I came across this site and started reading some of the posts and thought now here is some people who know what they are talking about.

What part of the world do you live in?USA. Mississippi to be exact. Lived here all my life except when traveling with work or with the Marines.

How shall we address you?Randy will do just fine.

Anything else - family, etcI am married and have two daughters, Brianna (12), which was baptised recently, and Alyssa (8). They are part of my driving force, because I want it to be right for them. I am not trying to change religions, because religions are just social clubs. I want to raise my daughters in FAITH and knowledge in the word of GOD, and I want them to lean towards HIM instead of towards their own understanding. It's a daunting task, but one I intend to see to fruition. By the way, I noticed in another post that you use a dash in place of the O. Why is that? I don't want to offend or anything, but that is why I am here, to get answers. Bless you each and every one.
Randy

Postby Enora » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:03 pm

Welcome to Torah Forum Randy!
Hope we can be of some help. If you have any questions don't hesitate.
You might also want to check out our Noahide section which addresses questions non jews might have about their own observance and faith in a Torah context (that doesn't make much sense, I know but it will once you check it out)
Torah Forum member, Hart, has done an excellant job on the Noahide section, keeping us on our toes with very good questions and thoughts.
viewforum.php?f=3
Enora

Postby Yisroelp » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:11 pm

Randy wrote:Where have you studied Torah?Never have, but I have started trying to read what I can find. From what I have read in your previous posts, I feel enlightened. For the most part, Kira appears to be very well read and knowledgeable. Am I mistaken in that Kira is a female? If not, I am so sorry. No offense meant.

Kira is indeed very well read and knowledgeable and, my wife and I having had the pleasure of taking her to dinner here in London, I can confirm that she is indeed a female.

By the way, I noticed in another post that you use a dash in place of the O. Why is that? I don't want to offend or anything, but that is why I am here, to get answers.

It's just that some people believe that the word "God" has a similar holiness to the Hebrew word and therefore, to avoid any accidental destruction of the Holy Name, they place a dash in place of the "o". I personally am not of that school, but out of respect for others who may be offended, it is perhaps better to put the dash in, even though I didn't above, but that was necessary to explain the issue.
Yisroel Phillips
Yisroelp

Postby Randy » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:19 pm

Thanks Yisroelp, nothing I like better than clarification and learning.
Randy

Postby Hart60 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:12 pm

Enora wrote: Torah Forum member, Hart, has done an excellant job on the Noahide section, keeping us on our toes with very good questions and thoughts.

Thank you Enora,I consider that to be a great honour indeed. :D you guys are awesome in your knowledge and kindness.
Dan.
Hart60

Next

Return to Torah Forum