A question about study

A place to discuss what it means to serve G-d for those who don't happen to be Jewish.

Hassidic Gentile? Ben/Bat Noach? Whatever you call yourself, you are welcome.
Forum rules
1. Polite discourse only. No ad hominem attacks or any other name-calling
2. No politics.
3. No bashing other religions, but it is ok to discuss how a Ben Noach might relate to other religions.
4. NO MISSIONARIES! Not even for Karaites.
5. Moderators may delete or break links to other web sites.
6. This is an Orthodox forum. Attacks on Halacha will not be tolerated.
7. Moderators reserve full rights to edit and delete posts, and ban users.

A question about study

Postby steve » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:29 am

I know their are certain parts of the Torah that non Jews are not to study, but what about works of mussar like The Duties of The Heart.
Is it okay for a non Jew to study such a spiritual teaching ?

Steve
steve

Re: A question about study

Postby rivka » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:19 pm

Definitely. :)
rivka

Postby Hart60 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:02 pm

steve wrote:I know their are certain parts of the Torah that non Jews are not to study, but what about works of mussar like The Duties of The Heart.
Is it okay for a non Jew to study such a spiritual teaching ? Steve

Hi steve, take a look at my thread on Gentiles studying Torah - here - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=157

I've read about The Musser Way,never studied it though, but if the aim of Mussar practice is to release the light of holiness that lives within the soul, it's gotta be good.

Dan.
Hart60

Postby steve » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:08 am

Thankyou Rivka and Dan.
steve

Postby steve » Thu May 12, 2011 11:22 pm

Hi there everyone,
Reading Duties of the Heart has increased my love of Jewish people and shown my limitations.

Thank-you.
Steve
steve

Postby steve » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:45 pm

I'm reading Duties of the heart ( reading slowly this time) ; In the introduction the author talks about the Duties of the limbs being associated with making a guard rail for the roof.
What is the association between the Duties of the limbs and making a guard rail for the roof ?
What does making a guard rail for the roof mean ?

Thanks.
Steve.
steve

Postby ess76 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:16 am

steve wrote:I'm reading Duties of the heart ( reading slowly this time) ; In the introduction the author talks about the Duties of the limbs being associated with making a guard rail for the roof.
What is the association between the Duties of the limbs and making a guard rail for the roof ?
What does making a guard rail for the roof mean ?

Thanks.
Steve.

Believe it or not, I am also reading this book for the first time at the moment, and am also currently almost done with the introduction. Where exactly are you referring to? I am not reading it in English, so that terminology does not sound familiar to me.

For the record, Kitab al-Hidaya ila Fara'id al-Qulub and Rabbenu Bahya are not a part of the Mussar collection which developed in 19th century Eastern Europe under the auspices of Yisrael Salanter. It originates from a completely different world view--that of Andalusia during the Golden Age of Spain. It seeks to teach the individual how to develop the inner workings of himself, and use them in the worship of God in which we are all commanded. To comprehend the absolute oneness of God and how to purify the soul. These are all things that are already commanded by the Law. He himself emphasizes this right at the beginning. The source of our obligation is known through reason (al-ma'qul), the Tora (al-maktub), and tradition (al-manqul).
ess76

Postby Yisroelp » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:51 am

steve wrote:What does making a guard rail for the roof mean ?

Thanks.
Steve.

http://www.ou.org/torah/ti/5763/kiteitzei63.htm
Yisroel Phillips
Yisroelp

Postby Hart60 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:48 pm

Hart60

Postby steve » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:34 am

Ess76,
Thank-you, Hashem is good.

A few pages into the introduction ( perhaps page 6 in the Hebrew version)

"From the point of view of reason."

Quote: from Duties of the Heart " From the point of view of reason. Man, as we know, is made up of body and soul; both of these are great favors which the creator has bestowed upon us. One is seen, the other unseen. We, in turn, are duty bound to serve the creator both outwardly and inwardly, outwardly through the duties of the limbs: prayer,fasting,charity; the study and teaching of Torah; sukkah,lulav,tzitzis,mezuzah, making a guardrail for the roof; and any other precept which culminates in an act that is carried out by the body."

Thanks for the links Yisroelp and Dan.

Thanks.
Steve
steve

Next

Return to Children of Noah