Kosher fruit

A place to discuss what it means to serve G-d for those who don't happen to be Jewish.

Hassidic Gentile? Ben/Bat Noach? Whatever you call yourself, you are welcome.
Forum rules
1. Polite discourse only. No ad hominem attacks or any other name-calling
2. No politics.
3. No bashing other religions, but it is ok to discuss how a Ben Noach might relate to other religions.
4. NO MISSIONARIES! Not even for Karaites.
5. Moderators may delete or break links to other web sites.
6. This is an Orthodox forum. Attacks on Halacha will not be tolerated.
7. Moderators reserve full rights to edit and delete posts, and ban users.

Kosher fruit

Postby Hart60 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:34 pm

When there's a community event at the Synagogue I'm often invited to take along some food to share,this I gather is usually a selection of fruit, I feel that I should do my bit and take along something but how do I know what I'm taking is Kosher and acceptable ?
Thanks,
Dan.
Hart60

Re: Kosher fruit

Postby rivka » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:48 am

If the fruit is uncut, there's no problem with any kind of pure fruit that is bug-free. (Fruit with stuff added, like grapples, is another thing entirely.)

For cut fruit, it gets a bit more complicated, and depends whose standards you need to satisfy.
rivka

Postby Hart60 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:51 am

Thanks Rivka, I had to Google Grapple,never heard of that in the UK,but I expect it's here somewhere,I gather it's an apple that's been modified to taste like a grape,can't imagine the point of that,I would imagine it contains no goodness from either fruit,but there we go, I get your point,pure whole fruit should be acceptable. I did wonder whether to take a bottle of fruit juice but I would imagine that also has it's complications.
Thanks,
Dan.
Hart60

Postby rivka » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:18 pm

Grapples aren't modified genetically or anything like that. They are just infused with grape juice. And since grape juice IS a kashrus problem (and therefore so is any fruit juice mixture containing it, and many do), that makes grapples not kosher as well.

As far as the point, I couldn't tell you. But I gather some people really like them.
rivka

Postby Hart60 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:42 pm

Thanks Rivka for pointing that out,I understand now, I take it though that whole grapes would also be OK.
Hart60

Postby rivka » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:09 am

Yup. Plus, fresh grapes are one of my favorite fruits. :D
rivka

Postby Hart60 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:34 am

And mine.
Hart60

Postby martinbrody » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:30 am

rivka wrote:Grapples aren't modified genetically or anything like that. They are just infused with grape juice. And since grape juice IS a kashrus problem (and therefore so is any fruit juice mixture containing it, and many do), that makes grapples not kosher as well.

As far as the point, I couldn't tell you. But I gather some people really like them.

Are you sure? I haven't seen grapples for a while, but that grape FLAVOUR added.
That's a far cry from grape juice, and does not present a kashrut problem, as it is artificial.
Best,
Martin Brody
martinbrody

Postby martinbrody » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:32 am

Hart60 wrote:Thanks Rivka for pointing that out,I understand now, I take it though that whole grapes would also be OK.

Hi,
Any fruit in the UK is kosher. And so is cut fruit.
Bon appetit,
Martin B
martinbrody

Postby rivka » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:47 am

I agree re cut fruit, but not everyone does.
rivka

Next

Return to Children of Noah