Tu B'Shevat and kosher fruit

A place to discuss what it means to serve G-d for those who don't happen to be Jewish.

Hassidic Gentile? Ben/Bat Noach? Whatever you call yourself, you are welcome.
Forum rules
1. Polite discourse only. No ad hominem attacks or any other name-calling
2. No politics.
3. No bashing other religions, but it is ok to discuss how a Ben Noach might relate to other religions.
4. NO MISSIONARIES! Not even for Karaites.
5. Moderators may delete or break links to other web sites.
6. This is an Orthodox forum. Attacks on Halacha will not be tolerated.
7. Moderators reserve full rights to edit and delete posts, and ban users.

Tu B'Shevat and kosher fruit

Postby Hart60 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:20 pm

Leviticus 23:25 - “When you enter the land and plant any kind of fruit tree, regard its fruit as forbidden. For three years you are to consider it forbidden;it must not be eaten. In the fourth year all its fruit will be holy, an offering of praise to the Lord. But in the fifth year you may eat its fruit. In this way your harvest will be increased. I am the Lord your God."

So would any fruit from a tree that's less than 4 years old be Kosher ?
Hart60

Re: Tu B'Shevat and kosher fruit

Postby rivka » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:29 am

No, it would not. However, this is not usually a problem, as trees that young rarely produce mature/healthy fruit. If the fruit is bought from a market, it is almost certainly not from such a young tree. In any case, for fruit grown outside Israel, orla is only Rabbinic, and if there is a doubt of whether orla applies, we can eat it. (Fruit grown in Israel is a different story.)

Unless you have such a young tree yourself, odds are almost nil that you need be concerned regarding this issue.

(The few trees that frequently produce fruit at less than 1 year, like papaya, are not considered a problem for orla at all.)
rivka

Postby martinbrody » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:32 am

Hart60 wrote:Leviticus 23:25 - “When you enter the land and plant any kind of fruit tree, regard its fruit as forbidden. For three years you are to consider it forbidden;it must not be eaten. In the fourth year all its fruit will be holy, an offering of praise to the Lord. But in the fifth year you may eat its fruit. In this way your harvest will be increased. I am the Lord your God."

So would any fruit from a tree that's less than 4 years old be Kosher ?

All depends who owns the tree/orchard/land.
If it's owned by a Jew it's not kosher for a Jew.
It applies everywhere, not just in Israel
If we are not absolutely certain of the source, it's kosher for all.
Hope that helps.
Best,
Martin b
martinbrody

Postby rivka » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:34 am

martinbrody wrote:It applies everywhere, not just in Israel

Not d'oraisah, not according to most opinions.
rivka

Postby martinbrody » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:14 am

rivka wrote:
martinbrody wrote:It applies everywhere, not just in Israel

Not d'oraisah, not according to most opinions.

Orlah outside of Israel has a special status.
It is the law from Moses at Sinai (one of those odd things where we can't find a source, but it is also treated as Rabbinic, meaning we can be lenient if there is a doubt.
Rivka, if you have a new peach tree in your back yard, you have to wait 3 years to enjoy it.(I'm not sure of the 4th year status outside of Israel. I think it is waived)
Bon appetit,
Martin B
martinbrody

Postby Hart60 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:29 pm

That clarifies it for me,many thanks.
Hart60

Postby rivka » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:04 pm

martinbrody wrote:Rivka, if you have a new peach tree in your back yard, you have to wait 3 years to enjoy it.

I am aware. It's why I specified an exception if he had a tree of his own. If you actually have the tree, and know when it was planted, there's no safeik.

My parents have several fruit trees, all of which are older than my teenagers now, but I recall when they were not. Very few edible fruit were produced in the first three years, but we carefully disposed of those few that did.
rivka

Return to Children of Noah