How can I serve G-d?

A place to discuss what it means to serve G-d for those who don't happen to be Jewish.

Hassidic Gentile? Ben/Bat Noach? Whatever you call yourself, you are welcome.
Forum rules
1. Polite discourse only. No ad hominem attacks or any other name-calling
2. No politics.
3. No bashing other religions, but it is ok to discuss how a Ben Noach might relate to other religions.
4. NO MISSIONARIES! Not even for Karaites.
5. Moderators may delete or break links to other web sites.
6. This is an Orthodox forum. Attacks on Halacha will not be tolerated.
7. Moderators reserve full rights to edit and delete posts, and ban users.

How can I serve G-d?

Postby steve » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:15 am

I don't understand why the Synagogue near me just ignores my e-mails when I ask for advice about attending as a non-Jew.
I have closed off every spiritual avenue apart from Orthodox, does a Jewish Rabbi have the authority to stop me serving Hashem?
It now seems almost impossible to serve G-d as an individual without others helping me, am I missing something?

thanks.
Steve.
steve

Re: How can I serve G-d?

Postby Hart60 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:09 pm

Hi Steve, hope you are well.
Have you thought of visiting the Shul on a Friday evening or Saturday morning when there's likely to be someone there you can talk to ? I'm sure they will welcome you.
At our Shul yesterday there were 3 other Gentiles besides myself.

Best wishes,
Dan.
Hart60

Postby steve » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:27 pm

Thanks Dan,
I'm well, I hope you are well also.
The Rabbi of the synagogue replied to my e-mail when I asked if it would be acceptable for a non-Jew to attend. His reply was it depends on the reason. I replied that I wanted to learn from Jewish people so I could serve Hashem to the best of my ability, a reason that seems to be not good enough. I sent another couple of e-mails but was just ignored.
This is not the first time I've contacted the synagogue, received a reply and then just ignored when I ask for advice.
Why do they treat me this way? I don't understand, I can't just turn up when they won't even reply to my e-mails.

Thanks.
Steve.
steve

Postby Hart60 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:34 pm

I'm very well thanks Steve.
I'm sure you would be better to visit them, better explaining things face to face.
May I ask where the Synagogue is ?
Hart60

Postby ess76 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:53 am

steve wrote:I don't understand why the Synagogue near me just ignores my e-mails when I ask for advice about attending as a non-Jew.
I have closed off every spiritual avenue apart from Orthodox, does a Jewish Rabbi have the authority to stop me serving Hashem?
It now seems almost impossible to serve G-d as an individual without others helping me, am I missing something?

thanks.
Steve.

I don't understand why you need a synagogue to worship God. You should worship God in every aspect of your daily life. Worship is not confined to prayer, and especially not to a specific building. Your soul is inside you, not inside the synagogue. Introspect.

It seems to me that you are still bound by certain preconceived notions you have from your previous belief system. Judaism is not about "authority" or "synagogues." An Orthodox Rabbi has no authority. We do not require a priest to administer any sacraments or anything of the sort. In fact, Judaism is all about the fact that every individual, whether weak or strong, poor or rich, etc. can access God and communicate to him directly without an intermediary. In fact, it is prohibited to pray via an intermediary (such as Jesus, a Rabbi, a "tzaddik's" (righteous person's) grave, etc.) as an act of idolatry. Communicate with him from where you are. Why do you feel you need a synagogue?
ess76

Postby steve » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:41 am

Thanks Dan,
Ess 76 is right, it's the way I see things that is wrong.

Ess 76,
Thanks, I think you could be right about me being caught up in past thought patterns.
It's the connection to spiritual people I feel I need not necessarily going to a synagogue.

Thanks.
Steve.
steve

Postby ess76 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:34 pm

steve wrote:Thanks Dan,
Ess 76 is right, it's the way I see things that is wrong.

Ess 76,
Thanks, I think you could be right about me being caught up in past thought patterns.
It's the connection to spiritual people I feel I need not necessarily going to a synagogue.

Thanks.
Steve.

I am only trying to help. It's important for you to introspect and see what exactly it is you feel that you need, and why? It is important to have a teacher to work with to determine whether you are on the right track or not. That is a difficult task to do alone.
ess76

Postby steve » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:36 am

Ess,
Where are the teachers ?
steve

Postby yael_1 » Tue May 07, 2013 4:34 pm

I can assure you one thing , Steve, you are not going to find a collection of saints in any given synagogue.
As said, well, you can just turn up for a service and see what it is all about. Still , what most Jews get out of being in shul / minyan is being part of the community, which is obviously not the case for an outsider ( sorry, not trying to hurt you here, it is just a statement of fact) . We are not there for getting holier or whatsoever.
Probably the rabbi simply does not know what to answer - I wouldn't ! How can one tell how someone else should serve G-d , and whether a shul would add anything ?

So like Ess said, do some more thinking, maybe .

Hope you do not find me brutal, I really don't mean to be.

Cheers,
Yael,
Amsterdam
yael_1

Postby Hart60 » Tue May 07, 2013 7:48 pm

yael_1 wrote: what most Jews get out of being in shul / minyan is being part of the community, which is obviously not the case for an outsider . We are not there for getting holier or whatsoever.
Really ???

yael_1 wrote:Probably the rabbi simply does not know what to answer - I wouldn't !
Bad Rabbi ???

The Shul I attend doesn't have a resident Rabbi but has a President who oversee everything ,I wrote to him about a year ago and introduced myself as a Bnei Noach,I was immediately invited to attend a service,it was a while before I was able to attend but when I did I was made to feel welcome by everyone I met and I now feel part of the community even as a non Jew and contribute and give support wherever I can,I feel closer to God by attending the services and through the Torah study after the service. Can the Rabbi in steve's area judge what steve can contribute to the community or what steve can learn from them without even meeting him ?

Dan.
Hart60

Next

Return to Children of Noah