Gentiles wearing Tallit Gadol.

A place to discuss what it means to serve G-d for those who don't happen to be Jewish.

Hassidic Gentile? Ben/Bat Noach? Whatever you call yourself, you are welcome.
Forum rules
1. Polite discourse only. No ad hominem attacks or any other name-calling
2. No politics.
3. No bashing other religions, but it is ok to discuss how a Ben Noach might relate to other religions.
4. NO MISSIONARIES! Not even for Karaites.
5. Moderators may delete or break links to other web sites.
6. This is an Orthodox forum. Attacks on Halacha will not be tolerated.
7. Moderators reserve full rights to edit and delete posts, and ban users.

Gentiles wearing Tallit Gadol.

Postby Hart60 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:28 pm

May I ask your opinions on Gentiles wearing Tallit in Shul during Sabbat prayers please, it appears that it's customary for everyone to wear a prayer shawl in a Synagogue I visited recently Jews and Non Jews alike,now I'm a bit confused with this as I've always thought it disrespectful for a Non Jew to wear one as we don't have the obligations to the commandments represented by the tassels.
Should I go along with the congregations wishes and wear one or abstain for the reasons I've given above ? I've obviously read Numbers 15 and Deuteronomy 22 and it appears explicit to me.

Thanks.
Hart60

Re: Gentiles wearing Tallit Gadol.

Postby martinbrody » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:47 pm

Hart60 wrote:May I ask your opinions on Gentiles wearing Tallit in Shul during Sabbat prayers please, it appears that it's customary for everyone to wear a prayer shawl in a Synagogue I visited recently Jews and Non Jews alike,now I'm a bit confused with this as I've always thought it disrespectful for a Non Jew to wear one as we don't have the obligations to the commandments represented by the tassels.
Should I go along with the congregations wishes and wear one or abstain for the reasons I've given above ? I've obviously read Numbers 15 and Deuteronomy 22 and it appears explicit to me.

Thanks.

Hi Hart,
In the UK, and other western European countries it is the custom of ALL Ashkenazi Jews to wear a Tallit. However most Eastern European's do not wear one until married.
So it seems that the non-Jews in Exeter Synagogue are just going along with the rest of the congregation.Personally, I don't have a problem with it. If that's what somebody wants to do, that's fine. Remember, we only wear a prayer shawl, which has 4 corners, so that we can put fringes on it and perform a Biblical commandment. (Most observant Jewish men wear one under their shirts anyway.) But if you feel uncomfortable, then don't.
I hope that helps.
martin B
martinbrody

Postby Hart60 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:43 pm

Thanks Martin, that has helped a lot. I'm thinking I should wear a Tallit out of respect for the congregation, so should I learn how to put it on properly and say the blessing etc. ?

Thanks,

Dan.
Hart60

Postby martinbrody » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:50 am

Hart60 wrote:Thanks Martin, that has helped a lot. I'm thinking I should wear a Tallit out of respect for the congregation, so should I learn how to put it on properly and say the blessing etc. ?

Thanks,

Dan.

No blessing! God hasn't commanded you to wear it.
Best,
Martin B
martinbrody

Postby Hart60 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:08 am

Thanks Martin,that's what I thought.

Dan.
Hart60

Postby David_L » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:08 pm

Would it be better to "invalidate" the tallit by rolling up one of the corners so that not all of the tzitzit/strings are visible?
David_L

Postby martinbrody » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:21 pm

David_L wrote:Would it be better to "invalidate" the tallit by rolling up one of the corners so that not all of the tzitzit/strings are visible?

Don't think so. Doesn't really achive anything.
Best,
Martin B
martinbrody

Postby Hart60 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:01 pm

Shabbat Shalom,
Maybe there should be rainbow coloured Tallis for gentiles to wear during prayers on Shabbos.

Good Shabbos.
Hart60

Postby rivka » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:40 pm

That would probably have implications you do not intend.
rivka

Postby Hart60 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:39 pm

Do you mean the "Robe of light" or as a symbol of gay pride ?
Hart60

Next

Return to Children of Noah