Gentiles wearing Tallit Gadol.

A place to discuss what it means to serve G-d for those who don't happen to be Jewish.

Hassidic Gentile? Ben/Bat Noach? Whatever you call yourself, you are welcome.
Forum rules
1. Polite discourse only. No ad hominem attacks or any other name-calling
2. No politics.
3. No bashing other religions, but it is ok to discuss how a Ben Noach might relate to other religions.
4. NO MISSIONARIES! Not even for Karaites.
5. Moderators may delete or break links to other web sites.
6. This is an Orthodox forum. Attacks on Halacha will not be tolerated.
7. Moderators reserve full rights to edit and delete posts, and ban users.

Re: Gentiles wearing Tallit Gadol.

Postby rivka » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:06 pm

ess76 wrote:Wearing one without tsitsiyyoth serve no purpose whatsoever.

Halachically, absolutely true. However, there is also a question of community, and that is a separate issue. When it can be accommodated without causing halachic concerns, that seems like a reasonable thing to me.
rivka

Postby Hart60 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:40 pm

ess76 wrote:A talleth is just a piece of cloth, nothing more, nothing less. It is equivalent to wearing a shirt. Wearing one without tsitsiyyoth serve no purpose whatsoever.

As for wearing one with tsitsiyyoth on the fringes, I see no reason why you should wear one, since you are not commanded in mitswoth. You are not commanded to wear tsitsiyyoth on your garments. Wearing a talleth is not about appearing more "religious" or "frum", it is to remember the commandments which God has given Israel, so that we do them. What would the benefit of wearing them be?

Best,
Elazar
I agree,but on the other hand I wouldn't like to upset the rest of the congregation by not wearing one,specially as I'm relatively a new comer to the shul and I am there by invitation.
I suppose in a way by wearing one I am doing so in recognition and respect of the commandments given to the Jewish congregants and to my ancestors.
Hart60

Postby David_L » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:50 pm

rivka wrote:
ess76 wrote:Wearing one without tsitsiyyoth serve no purpose whatsoever.

Halachically, absolutely true. However, there is also a question of community, and that is a separate issue. When it can be accommodated without causing halachic concerns, that seems like a reasonable thing to me.

The issue of "follow the halacha/law" vs. "follow the community" is one with which I've also struggled. If the community follows the halacha, then there's no problem, but what if that's not the case, as it apparently is here? The only solution I can think of is "find another community", but that's often very difficult. (Maybe this should be posted as a new topic.)
David_L

Postby rivka » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:11 pm

David_L wrote:If the community follows the halacha, then there's no problem, but what if that's not the case, as it apparently is here?

I think it's a bit extreme to say that the community is not following halacha here. (Unless there is a problem with a non-Jew wearing a talis that I am unaware of.)

Regardless, no community exists that will follow precisely-and-exactly-what-you-or-I-believe-the-halacha-to-be on EVERY issue. It's just impossible.

Like most things, you find the best fit, and you work within the constraints of halacha (foremost) and community standards (second).
rivka

Postby David_L » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:29 am

My comment about the community not following halacha was based on my impression that the synagogue being discussed was non-orthodox, not specifically the tzitzit issue. But I have no problem admitting I may be wrong here.
David_L

Postby Hart60 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:04 pm

David, you could be correct, I have only been to the progressive services so far so I can't say what happens at traditional services.It's nearly a 2 hour journey for me so I'm unable to attend as much as I would like.

Dan.
Hart60

Postby rivka » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:06 pm

David_L wrote:My comment about the community not following halacha was based on my impression that the synagogue being discussed was non-orthodox

I missed that.
rivka

Postby Hart60 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:15 pm

I think that's my error for not making it clear from the outset,my apologies to all concerned.
Hart60

Postby martinbrody » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:54 pm

Exeter Synagogue is an Orthodox synagogue, but with no or very few Orthodox Jews in the vicinity any more.
The Synagogue alternates between reform and Orthodox services to accommodate the Jewish community Kind of nice, even though a bit odd!
martinbrody

Postby David_L » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:03 pm

Martin, thanks for the clarification. That wasn't clear to me from reading the synagogue's web site.
David_L

PreviousNext

Return to Children of Noah