Is Mathematics against G-d's will ?

A place to discuss what it means to serve G-d for those who don't happen to be Jewish.

Hassidic Gentile? Ben/Bat Noach? Whatever you call yourself, you are welcome.
Forum rules
1. Polite discourse only. No ad hominem attacks or any other name-calling
2. No politics.
3. No bashing other religions, but it is ok to discuss how a Ben Noach might relate to other religions.
4. NO MISSIONARIES! Not even for Karaites.
5. Moderators may delete or break links to other web sites.
6. This is an Orthodox forum. Attacks on Halacha will not be tolerated.
7. Moderators reserve full rights to edit and delete posts, and ban users.

Is Mathematics against G-d's will ?

Postby steve » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:39 pm

Humans use Mathematics to manifest material reality.
The Torah condemns sorcery/witchcraft. Mathematics is a type of sorcery/witchcraft.
How can a person get close to G-d in a world of Mathematical evil ?

Steve
steve

Re: Is Mathematics against G-d's will ?

Postby rivka » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:52 pm

steve wrote:Mathematics is a type of sorcery/witchcraft.
*blink*

On what do you base this rather bizarre claim?

Also, this is false:
steve wrote:Humans use Mathematics to manifest material reality.
No, humans use mathematics to describe and understand material reality. It does not cause anything to become; it describes what is already there.
rivka

Postby David_L » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:26 am

There are lots of examples of mathematics in the Talmud. My background is in math, so I've found it interesting to add some of them to my notes during my Daf Yomi (Talmud study).

Here are a few:

Eruvin 23b:
The discussion touches on the concept of an irrational number (square root of 5000).

Eruvin 43b:
"Rabban Gamliel had a [hollow] tube with which he [was able to] look and sight [a distance of] two thousand amos on land, and similarly, two thousand amos at sea." The Artscroll commentary suggests that this was a type of surveying instrument based on trigonometry.

Eruvin 56b:
In discussing the establishment of a city's techum (boundary), the Artscroll commentary mentions that the Gemara uses 1.4 as its approximation for the square root of 2.

And some seasonable examples:

Succah 7b:
"R'Yochanan said: A succah that is made [round] like an oven,..." In connection with trying to determine the minimum size of a round succah, the Gemara uses the approximation "three" for the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter.

Succah 32b:
The Gemara discusses the Mishnah's requirement that the lulav be three tefachim long. A tefach is normally one-sixth of an amah, but in some situations an amah can be five tefachim; this issue is examined regarding its effect on the length of the lulav.

Notes: (for those unfamiliar with the Hebrew words)
A tefach and an amah are units of measurement. A tefach is three to four inches. An amah is 18 to 24 inches. A succah is a temporary hut erected for the festival of Succos, which begins in two days. A lulav is a date palm frond.
David_L

Postby steve » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:04 am

I have read in one of Rabbi Nachman's discourses that if Doctors heal without thanking/ blessing Hashem they are involved in sorcery. I just thought the same would apply to Mathematics.

Steve
steve

Postby rivka » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:21 am

steve wrote:I have read in one of Rabbi Nachman's discourses that if Doctors heal without thanking/ blessing Hashem they are involved in sorcery.

Rabbi Nachman was a great man and a tzaddik. But you have to be careful about taking his words on an absolutely literal basis. And really, really careful about attempting to take that literal meaning and apply it to other cases.

Doctors who believe in the work of their own hands, rather than seeing themselves as part of Hashem's plan, are certainly not at the ideal spiritual place. But if Rabbi Nachman called that sorcery (I've never heard that particular claim ascribed to him before), I suspect it was meant in a metaphorical way. Not to mean that such a doctor is an evil or corrupt person.
rivka

Postby steve » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:00 pm

Rivka,
I like Rabbi Nachman's teachings because they seem easy to understand, Gratitude, compassion and the possibility of a fresh start, the paradox is, that at the same time....... a person can't really understand them.
Thanks.
Steve
steve

Return to Children of Noah