Looking for advice

A place to discuss what it means to serve G-d for those who don't happen to be Jewish.

Hassidic Gentile? Ben/Bat Noach? Whatever you call yourself, you are welcome.
Forum rules
1. Polite discourse only. No ad hominem attacks or any other name-calling
2. No politics.
3. No bashing other religions, but it is ok to discuss how a Ben Noach might relate to other religions.
4. NO MISSIONARIES! Not even for Karaites.
5. Moderators may delete or break links to other web sites.
6. This is an Orthodox forum. Attacks on Halacha will not be tolerated.
7. Moderators reserve full rights to edit and delete posts, and ban users.

Looking for advice

Postby steve » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:10 am

Does anyone know of any Jewish organisations that are accepting of Noahides in the UK that I can get spiritual advice from.

Thanks Steve
steve

Re: Looking for advice

Postby David_L » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:47 pm

Steve, have you tried Chabad? There are a number of Chabad Houses in England, and a couple in Scotland:
http://www.chabad.org/centers/default_c ... ngland.htm
http://www.chabad.org/centers/default_c ... otland.htm

There are also a few UK Noahide contacts listed here. I don't know whether this information is up to date:
http://asknoah.org/worldwide-contacts
David_L

Postby steve » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:29 am

Thanks David,
When I contact religious Jewish people I never know whether to accept their non reply with Emuna ( I'm not good enough to get a reply perhaps) or use my freewill and keep trying.
Steve
steve

Postby David_L » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:11 pm

Personally, even though I'm Jewish, I haven't had much luck getting spiritual advice from Jewish people, religious or otherwise. Everyone seems to have his own agenda.

I get my answers by studying the classic texts, praying to G-d and observing the commandments.

Are you relying on replies to email or phone messages? You might have better results with a physical visit.
David_L

Postby steve » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:51 am

Hi David,
I recently got a reply from a synagogue a couple of hours away from where I live saying anyone is welcome to come along.
If I can build up the confidence to actually go along, do you have any advice ?
I have heard that all services are in Hebrew in orthodox synagogues ?

Steve
steve

Postby David_L » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:13 pm

I'm not sure what advice to give.

Yes, the Orthodox service will very likely be all Hebrew.

I don't have access to regular prayer services. And even when I do, to be honest, I have difficulty with Orthodox prayer services because the prayers are read at about five to ten times as fast as I can read, even if I use the English translation. So I wind up staring at the book for a couple of hours. Largely for that reason, I pray on my own, at my own pace, even though I've been told that's not the right way to do it. But that's the only way I can connect to G-d.

Perhaps you should focus on trying to meet other people there who have common interests and are willing to talk to you about those interests, either before or after the service. And don't feel discouraged if you don't get results the first time. Serving G-d is a lifelong endeavor.
David_L

Return to Children of Noah