The Tanya

A place to discuss what it means to serve G-d for those who don't happen to be Jewish.

Hassidic Gentile? Ben/Bat Noach? Whatever you call yourself, you are welcome.
Forum rules
1. Polite discourse only. No ad hominem attacks or any other name-calling
2. No politics.
3. No bashing other religions, but it is ok to discuss how a Ben Noach might relate to other religions.
4. NO MISSIONARIES! Not even for Karaites.
5. Moderators may delete or break links to other web sites.
6. This is an Orthodox forum. Attacks on Halacha will not be tolerated.
7. Moderators reserve full rights to edit and delete posts, and ban users.

The Tanya

Postby steve » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:09 pm

If the Tanya is correct and nearly all non-Jews have no good in them then trying to be a Noahide for most people is a fruitless task.
Where in the Torah does the writer take this from?
steve

Re: The Tanya

Postby David_L » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:30 pm

Steve, do you know specifically where this is stated in the Tanya? I don't know much about the Tanya, but I could try to find an explanation.
David_L

Postby Hart60 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:17 pm

Hi Steve,
The widely debated and controversial view presented in The Tanya is that non-Jews are a different (and lesser) type of human being than Jews.
Personally I would take no notice of this whatsoever, just continue to care for and respect our fellow beings as Hashem would wish us to.

Hope you are well,
Dan.
Hart60

Postby rivka » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:15 am

Hart60 wrote:I would take no notice of this whatsoever, just continue to care for and respect our fellow beings as Hashem would wish us to.

I completely agree.

It is worth noting that many Jews -- Orthodox included -- strongly disagree with this position of the Ba'al haTanya.
rivka

Postby steve » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:51 pm

Thanks Dan, David and Rivka,
I think on reading chapter 1 of the Tanya the implication seems to be that non-Jews are under the influence of the planets/ stars and therefore fate. The thing I don't understand is that if most non-Jews are under the influence of fate then even the good deeds and prayer have no meaning.
I have read that Abraham was once an astrologer and G-d told him to leave his astrology. Their seems to be a connection between leaving the stars/fate and rising above the stars which Abraham did when he believed in the unity of G-d.
I have also read that Jews are above the stars and have a Nefesh and Rauch, a non-Jew only has a Nefesh.
On what seems to be a contradiction to the Tanya Rabbi Nachman of Breslev talks about being under the forces of nature as being a great mercy.
The planets and stars are part of G-d ? the kelipot is part of G-d ? I have read that their is no evil it is just a sense of perspective.
Is it true that their is no evil ?
I noticed that in the first part of chapter1 Jews are to regard themselves as evil no matter how good they are, Is this maybe to point out that their actually is no evil ?
Emuna teachings say everything G-d does is good no matter how it is percieved.

Thanks.
Steve
steve

Postby David_L » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:29 am

The Tanya is over my head.

You might try the Ask-the-Rabbi sections at chabad.org or askmoses.com. Chabad.org also has articles on the Tanya.

Another resource is jnet.org. They provide one-on-one learning by phone. I don't know if they do Noahide instruction, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.
David_L

Postby Hart60 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:45 pm

steve wrote:I have also read that Jews are above the stars and have a Nefesh and Rauch, a non-Jew only has a Nefesh.

Ok,let's look at this for a moment -
Ruach is the middle level of the soul and translates as "spirit." The ruach is the part of the soul which can distinguish between good and evil.
Nefesh is part of the soul considered the lowest level of the soul, and is something animal-like. The nefesh concerns itself with physical desire and instinct.
So to say that non Jews are unable to distinguish between good and evil and are only concerned with physical desire could be construed as an evil in itself.

Maybe they mean that some non Jews do not have Chaya-This is the aspect of the soul that gives one the consciousness of the divine life force,now that I could believe, or maybe they refer to Neshama Yeteira (extra soul)-Jews are said to attain a supplemental soul on the Jewish Sabbath. This soul helps enhance the spiritual enjoyment of the day. This aspect of the soul only visits those who observe the Sabbath to the strictest letter of the law, but of course non Jews are not expected to observe the Jewish Sabbath.

I think it's better if we all concentrate ourselves on Neshama -
Neshama is the aspect of the soul specific to man and elevates him above other forms of life. Through the neshama, we realize our intellect and attain the awareness of God. The neshama lives on after death.

It is said that the levels of the middot in each of us are set at birth, and then, as we go through life, every deed and every thought whether from experience or, more deliberately, from spiritual practice comes to be "inscribed" in the soul, and, in consequence, the levels of our middot are raised or lowered.
Mussar for example calls on us to focus attention on just those middot that are problematic in our personal lives and that prevent the full light of our neshama or holiness from shining through.

Hope this helps,

Dan.
Hart60

Postby steve » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:44 pm

Thanks David and Dan,
Steve
steve

Postby steve » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:53 pm

Hi there,

Steve
steve

Postby steve » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:16 am

Decided to delete this, your right David.
Steve
Last edited by steve on Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
steve

Next

Return to Children of Noah