Yeshayahu 42:8

A place to share our current Torah learning - summaries, suggestions, discussions.
Forum rules
1. Polite discourse.
2. Quote your sources
3. Translate all but the most basic Hebrew terms (Torah, Mitzva/Mitzvot, Shabbat, Halacha).

Yeshayahu 42:8

Postby Hart60 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:35 am

Can I have clarification of Yeshayahu 42:8 please.
"I am the Lord, that is My Name; and My glory I will not give to another, nor My praise to the graven images."
What is God saying here about his name ?

Thanks,
Dan.
Hart60

Re: Yeshayahu 42:8

Postby Kira » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:38 pm

That the 4-letter name of G-d is His essence. The letters are those used in the verb "to be", in all its tenses. One way to translate it, instead of "the Lord" is "the Eternal". That fits in better with the context, as the following verse says,

The first events have come to pass;
The new ones, I recount to you;
Before they even bud,
I will impart them to you

-Kira
Kira

Postby Hart60 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:11 pm

So the same as "Ehyeh asher ehyeh" -I will be what I will be ?
Is this the same as YHVH and does that translate to Jehovah ?

I've been struggling with God's name for ages, just can't get my head around it, is it ever given in The Torah ?

Thanks,

Dan.
Hart60

Postby Kira » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:40 pm

It's the same 4-letter name. What does that mean, translate to "Jehovah"? That's just a way of pronouncing it, which is meaningless in English. Besides, of all the possible ways to pronounce it, that is not one of them.

That is G-d's name, that is His own "personal" name rather than a title like "G-d". It is first used in Genesis chapter 2, and then throughout the Torah.

It seems that there was a time that people used it, when swearing in His Name, or in prayer, on a regular basis. Later, it was restricted to the Temple Service. After the Temple was destroyed, people no longer heard it, and the pronunciation was forgotten. I'm not sure that there is anyone who knows how it is supposed to be pronounced. Maybe some mystics / kabbalists.

When we read the name in the Torah or in our prayers, we say a different word that means Lord.

-Kira
Kira

Postby Hart60 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:24 pm

Thanks Kira for your kind reply,I'm beginning to understand now.
Kira wrote: What does that mean, translate to "Jehovah"? -Kira
I'm afraid I got into an argument with a couple of Jehovah's Witnesses about this, they said they got their name from Isaiah 42:8 where God tells us his name is Jehovah, I was pretty sure they were wrong and said so, later to prove my point I looked up Isaiah 42:8 and of course it says "I am the Lord, that is My Name" I also googled "God's name" and was surprised to find several sites (xtian of course) that gave references to God saying his name is Jehovah but again when I look the reference up on Chabad.org Complete Jewish Bible I can see that the reference has been either misquoted or mistransliterated.
So I thought I would ask you guys to get the definitive answer, and I have.
Many thanks,
Dan.
Hart60

Postby Kira » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:49 pm

I'm glad to hear that I helped, although I'm not sure how. The verse does indeed say "I'm YHVH, that is My Name", but that's not exactly news. It also says it in other places, like in the 3rd of the 10 commandments.

Mis-pronouncing it the way those people do, and then making a big deal out of it, is just rude. IMO.

-Kira
Kira

Postby Hart60 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:11 pm

Hi Kira,
You helped as soon as you said "It's the same 4-letter name.That is G-d's name, that is His own "personal" name rather than a title like "G-d". It is first used in Genesis chapter 2, and then throughout the Torah."
because you confirmed that my understanding was correct,I'm afraid I sorta lost my composure when the JW's insisted that God gave his name as Jehovah in scripture.

Kind regards,
Dan.
Hart60

Postby Kira » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:58 am

Oh.

They way what?!

It's the same word, no question about that.

It amazes me what games people play with the Bible, it really does.

Anyway, that chapter is the Haftora (portion of Prophets) read with the Torah portion of Breishit (Genesis 1-4).

-Kira
Kira

jehovah

Postby aries » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:56 am

It is just another case of the German J which is pronounced Y. The English pronounced it as J.

So we get Jerusalem from Yerushalaim.
and Judah from Yehuda; Jacob from Yaakov.

Now to get from Eyov to Job is a little more complicated and has something to do with inablility of Greeks to pronounce Eyo.
Aryeh Shore
aries

Postby ittai » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:32 pm

Can I have clarification of Yeshayahu 42:8 please.
"I am the Lord, that is My Name; and My glory I will not give to another, nor My praise to the graven images."
What is God saying here about his name ?

Thanks,
Dan.

The verb name comes from "he vav he" = to be
and is the hifil-form of it, pronounced as
"j (spoken as y in yet), a (spoken as u in unknown), h, v, e (spoken as e in empty)"
and has meaning

"(He) makes to be" or "(He) calls to be".
ittai

Next

Return to Learning Forum