Geulah in our times?

A place to share our current Torah learning - summaries, suggestions, discussions.
Forum rules
1. Polite discourse.
2. Quote your sources
3. Translate all but the most basic Hebrew terms (Torah, Mitzva/Mitzvot, Shabbat, Halacha).

Re: Geulah in our times?

Postby Enora » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:28 pm

R'Dovid Avuchazera

ABUchazera not avu and usually that kind of name doesn't come after "dOvid" hehe..
WHICH R.David Abuhazera (in my neck of the woods , thats a common name and I know of at least 3 R.David Abuhazeras)
Enora

Postby aaron benjamin » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:53 pm

Enora wrote:
R'Dovid Avuchazera

ABUchazera not avu and usually that kind of name doesn't come after "dOvid" hehe..
WHICH R.David Abuhazera (in my neck of the woods , thats a common name and I know of at least 3 R.David Abuhazeras)
I had read about a R'Dovid Abuchazera from Nahariya on the dreamingofmoshiach blog some time ago. According to what I read there the Rav was told in a dream to stand when people come to speak with him since one of them may be the Mashiach, something along these lines.
aaron benjamin

Postby aaron benjamin » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:55 pm

rivka wrote:It can be an unhealthy obsession. The navi told us to expect that redemption, but also to continue to live our lives -- to build homes, plant vineyards.

Does there need to be a contradiction?
aaron benjamin

Postby rivka » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:05 pm

You're the one who chose the word "obsession".
rivka

Postby aaron benjamin » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:51 pm

rivka wrote:You're the one who chose the word "obsession".

You are right, I do feel kind of desperate that the geulah will come, maybe that would be called an obsession.
aaron benjamin

Postby Kira » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:44 pm

Why so desperate?

Are you not enjoying our partial Geulah?

Do you think it will be painless, or simple? I don't.

-Kira
Kira

Postby aaron benjamin » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:45 pm

Kira wrote:Why so desperate?

Are you not enjoying our partial Geulah?

Do you think it will be painless, or simple? I don't.

-Kira
Hi Kira, part of the reason for my desperation is because my Mother and myself are both struggling with various health issues. I am enjoying our partial geulah but I still long for the complete geulah when there will be no more illness, depression or death etc. I learned some time ago that according to some Chassidic traditions that the geulah may be painless so that is what I am hoping for as well.
aaron benjamin

Postby Enora » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:39 am

I still long for the complete geulah when there will be no more illness, depression or death etc.

According to the Rambam, "nature" will not change. After the arrival of Mashiach, "Olam KéMinhago Noheg" (again Rambam). The difference between before Mashiach and after Mashiach will not be the absence of pain, illness or suffering. The difference is in how we will be liberated from the "nations". It will be a social/political change.
It has nothing to do with the spirit and it's material body.
You're confusing Geulah with Olam Haba that comes later....
Enora

Postby Enora » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:16 pm

Sorry "spirit" (sounds kind of xtian) is not the best word... "soul" might be better.
I was thinking in french "l'esprit"
Enora

Postby aaron benjamin » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:00 pm

Hi Enora, maybe the reason I do that is because I remember once learning in Chabad that the beginning and the end of the geulah may come simultaneously if I understood correctly. Good Shabbos.
aaron benjamin

PreviousNext

Return to Learning Forum