Mixing meat with dairy

A place to share our current Torah learning - summaries, suggestions, discussions.
Forum rules
1. Polite discourse.
2. Quote your sources
3. Translate all but the most basic Hebrew terms (Torah, Mitzva/Mitzvot, Shabbat, Halacha).

Re: Mixing meat with dairy

Postby Yisroelp » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:08 pm

aries wrote:By Rabbai I mean the Rabbis of the Talmud who had no problem with glass being non-porous.

So you only pasken [rule] from the Talmud?

In any event, we have dozen of mishnaot which group glass with metal as not being porous.

Dozens? Name me one. זכוכית is mentioned 15 times in the Mishna and 55 times in the Talmud (including the Mishna), and the vast majority relate to the laws of tuma v'tahara [spiritual uncleanliness and cleanliness]
Yisroel Phillips
Yisroelp

Re: glass

Postby Yisroelp » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:10 pm

ess76 wrote:What do you think?

What do I think? Well for what it's worth, I follow the Rama that we treat glass on Pesach as earthenware and treat it like metal the rest of the time.
Yisroel Phillips
Yisroelp

Postby Enora » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:42 pm

Well fine then! Be stringent like that... ;)
Enora

Postby Saronic » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:59 pm

I am thoroughly enjoying this discussion!

Many years ago Rabbi Genack of the OU learned a bunch of scientists did a series of tests to determine whether or not stainless steel absorbs taste, and they determined it could not. Rabbi Genack traveled to Israel and asked a lot of the Gedolei HaTorah there what to do with that information. They responded we're not ready to overthrow the Dinim (laws).

Rav Chaim Soloveitchik posited that maybe the bliyos ("absorbednesses") of Basar bCholov(meat in milk) doesn't mean particles of meat, rather, when they combine we create a new Halachic entity.

All I know is from my own experience sniffing stainless steel and non-stick pots - the dairy and the meat ones smell different.
Saronic

Postby rivka » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:21 am

That's partly because I don't know anyone who cleans their kitchen cookware in lab-grade solvents. ;)

A pot, especially if it has been used a few times, has microscopic cracks and pits all over the surface. Even a CLEAN pot that has been really well scrubbed, if you add water to it and put it on a flame, you'll usually get a barely visible layer on the surface of the water after a while.
rivka

Postby aries » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:26 pm

In re: glass in mishnaot

That is correct. We learn all of the laws for kashering utensils from the laws of tumah.
Aryeh Shore
aries

Postby Hart60 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:45 pm

So the object (utensil) can be ritually impure ?
Hart60

Postby ess76 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:51 pm

Hart60 wrote:So the object (utensil) can be ritually impure ?

Yes. There is an entire tractate, called Kelim (Utensils), dedicated to the topic of utensils attracting impurity. But just for clarification, if a utensil has attracted both meat and dairy tastes, and cannot be used until the taste is removed, this does not make it impure.
ess76

Previous

Return to Learning Forum