yehorah

A place to share our current Torah learning - summaries, suggestions, discussions.
Forum rules
1. Polite discourse.
2. Quote your sources
3. Translate all but the most basic Hebrew terms (Torah, Mitzva/Mitzvot, Shabbat, Halacha).

yehorah

Postby aries » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Yehorah is generally translated as arrogance or putting on airs.
It tends to be a very vague topic.

In the Shulchan Aruch (OH 17) it states that women do not wear a Talit because it is yehorah. However if they do, Askenazic woman say the blessing while Sephardic woman do not (this is a general rule).
It also says that putting on two pairs of tephillin is yehorah. Since this is pretty much ignored today, apparently Yehorah is in the eyes of the beholder.
I heard that in the early fifties, a bachur asked the Chazon Ish if it wasn't wrong to take public money to learn torah. He was told he was guilty of yehorah. (anyone got a source on this?)
Anyone know of some other examples?
Aryeh Shore
aries

Re: yehorah

Postby Saronic » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:12 am

I know someone wasn't accepted into RIETS because he wore Tefillin all day. The Bochen told him it was Yuhorah.

I would think wearing Techeles visibly in a community where nobody else wears it could also be considered Yuhorah.

I've heard Rebbeim make comments about people who take a very long time with their Shemoneh Esrei that it's Yuhorah.

I think it's interesting that the Mishna Brura by Yom Tov Sheini, where he says that one should not be stringent in public on something that the community is lenient on, doesn't say it's Yuhorah.
Saronic

Re: yehorah

Postby Kira » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:24 pm

I disagree about Techeles ... it's not a question of being holier-than-thou, it's a question of do you believe it's the real thing

Yehora to not take public money for learning or teaching Torah... yeah, maybe there is something to it. I know that I don't take money for teaching, ever, and neither does my husband, even in situations where others might, and the reason we can "allow ourselves" to do so is because we actually have paying professions. So maybe it's Yehora, and what we're saying is, "we're better than you full-time rabbis because we can do what you do, and also what we do"

Or maybe not.

-Kira
Kira

Return to Learning Forum