Kosher Locust

A place to share our current Torah learning - summaries, suggestions, discussions.
Forum rules
1. Polite discourse.
2. Quote your sources
3. Translate all but the most basic Hebrew terms (Torah, Mitzva/Mitzvot, Shabbat, Halacha).

Re: Kosher Locust

Postby Enora » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:02 pm

I just wanted to be specific by mentioning North African customs since it's very possible that jews from the arabian peninsula out through eastern asia might have sustained this tradition more actively then N.african jews.
Enora

Postby ess76 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:06 am

Enora wrote:I just wanted to be specific by mentioning North African customs since it's very possible that jews from the arabian peninsula out through eastern asia might have sustained this tradition more actively then N.african jews.

The Jews of Yemen also maintained an accurate tradition of the permitted species of locusts.

I would like to emphasize that this tradition is not limited to people whose ancestry trails back to these locations. Qibbuts Galuyyoth (The ingathering of the exiles) has already begun, thank God, and people can drink from the traditions of their brothers in ways their ancestors could not. This tradition, and others, is open for all to come and receive, if only you are thirsty enough to seek it. For those willing, the horizons of Tora are limitless.
ess76

Postby Enora » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:20 am

I would like to emphasize that this tradition is not limited to people whose ancestry trails back to these locations. Qibbuts Galuyyoth (The ingathering of the exiles) has already begun, thank God, and people can drink from the traditions of their brothers in ways their ancestors could not. This tradition, and others, is open for all to come and receive, if only you are thirsty enough to seek it. For those willing, the horizons of Tora are limitless.

Yeah, I think I'll pass on the locust tradition lol... though I'm told that when my parents were kids, they'd eat them like watermelon or sunflower seeds.
Enora

Postby rivka » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:38 pm

You will "pass" (i.e., choose not to partake) on the tradition? Or "pass on" the tradition to your kids?

;)
rivka

Postby Enora » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:24 pm

rivka wrote:You will "pass" (i.e., choose not to partake) on the tradition? Or "pass on" the tradition to your kids?

;)

Oh yeah, rereading my comment it isn't clear lol. Locust are not for me....
Enora

Postby rivka » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:00 am

I was fairly certain which you meant. I just thought the possible alternate meaning was funny.
rivka

Postby aries » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:27 pm

Fried locusts are very tasty and are sold like french fries on asain streets.
The jews of teman have maintain the tradition of the locust with the h.
There is no tradition for israel s

o anyone can adapt anyones tradition.
There is no difference between a locust and a grasshopper.
Aryeh Shore
aries

Previous

Return to Learning Forum