Circumcision

A place to share our current Torah learning - summaries, suggestions, discussions.
Forum rules
1. Polite discourse.
2. Quote your sources
3. Translate all but the most basic Hebrew terms (Torah, Mitzva/Mitzvot, Shabbat, Halacha).

Circumcision

Postby Hart60 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:31 pm

Ishmael was circumcised at the age of thirteen, the age of awareness, whereas Isaac was circumcised when he was an eight day-old infant.So why does G-d command that circumcision should take place when one is unaware of the significance of what is taking place ?

Thanks.
Hart60

Re: Circumcision

Postby aries » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:36 pm

The question is not addressed. Presumably one wishes to perfect the body at the earliest possible time. However, in the Midrash, Yishmael mocks Yitchak that he is some how better because he was old enough to voluntarily suffer for the circumcision.
Aryeh Shore
aries

Postby Hart60 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:11 pm

That's interesting,thanks Aryeh.
I'd like to read more on that if anyone can provide some links please.

Dan.
Hart60

Postby aries » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:39 pm

I can give you the source for Yishmael mocking Yitchak.

Rashi on Bereshit 22:1 on what was said before HaShem ordered the binding of Yitchak.
Others say after the words of Ishmael. who boasted to Isaac that he had been circumcised when he was thirteen years old without resisting. Isaac replied to him "You think to intimidate me by mention the loss of just one part of the body? If the holy one blessed be he, were to tell me "Sacrifice yourself to Me" I would not refuse. see Sanhedrin 89b; Genesis Rabah 55
Aryeh Shore
aries

Postby Hart60 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:26 pm

Thanks Aryeh, it's much appreciated.

Dan.
Hart60

Return to Learning Forum