fast of esther

A place to share our current Torah learning - summaries, suggestions, discussions.
Forum rules
1. Polite discourse.
2. Quote your sources
3. Translate all but the most basic Hebrew terms (Torah, Mitzva/Mitzvot, Shabbat, Halacha).

Re: fast of esther

Postby Kira » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:06 am

For sure there's such a thing as "American minhag"! In Israel, people who eat "mehadrin" don't eat the O-U!

And Pesach (which is coming up, argh) has definite behaviors that are American-based, simply because of how the kashrus system works.

-Kira
Kira

Postby Enora » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:23 am

There is such cheese available in the US, from supervised kosher dairies,( and way better than that other muck they call cheese!) but not guaranteed at time of the rennet. The SA references are above. The OU do a special run at this particular creamery for those thast reject that opinion..
Check it out. http://www.cabotcheese.coop/
Tabletk supervises the dairy.
Delicious stuff!

**in a heavy french accent**
and you call that cheese???
**back to my jersey accent**
No seriously and to think I complain about kosher Brie and Camembert... I'd die on cheddar and monterey.
In fact, I had a kosher fondue savoyarde a few weeks ago. Delish!
Oh and goat cheese "crottin" on toast this weekend mmmmmmm
I guess french jews just do it better ;P
Enora

cheese

Postby aries » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:46 am

Well the good news is that since the french showed up in israel,
tenuvah started with brie and cambaret both cow and sheep and you canget bagettes
anywhere. H
Although there are substantial differences between us and israel as far as kashrut (tuna fish wars, humane slaughter), this ia not a matter of minhag. When jews come to new place they can take any minhag they want like a ger. today each synagogue sets up its own charter which should not be changed. However there is no obligation of one who prays in a synagogue that says ruth with a blessing to expect another synagogue to do the same. I.e. There is no minhag hamakom. In israel we do only one day of holidays and two days of rosh hashana even though the original minhag was just one day. We say sechiyanu on a brit milah. Thats about it. There is no national ruling for kashrut. We also have to worry about how to deal with maasrot and stuff.
It is correct that the jews who came to israel should have accepted the minhag hamakom in 1522. But they didn't and today we just have total chaos.
aries

Postby Kira » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:32 pm

Yes, but total chaos suits us

8-)
Kira

Previous

Return to Learning Forum