Vayigash

A place to share our current Torah learning - summaries, suggestions, discussions.
Forum rules
1. Polite discourse.
2. Quote your sources
3. Translate all but the most basic Hebrew terms (Torah, Mitzva/Mitzvot, Shabbat, Halacha).

Vayigash

Postby Hart60 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:26 pm

Is it right to capitalise by selling food during a famine ?

Bereishit 41:55-57.
Hart60

Re: Vayigash

Postby martinbrody » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:38 pm

Hart60 wrote:Is it right to capitalise by selling food during a famine ?

Bereishit 41:55-57.

Yes.
That's the basis of capitalism. Buy low, sell high.It was a very astute move by Joseph
However, impoverishing the populace, by getting them to sell their land to Pharaoh, which also appears to be part of Joseph's plan, does not seem a good idea!
Best,
Martin Brody
martinbrody

Postby Hart60 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:08 pm

martinbrody wrote:Yes. That's the basis of capitalism. Buy low, sell high.It was a very astute move by Joseph

I agree under normal circumstances when one can take it or leave it,but during a famine when there's no choice ? isn't it like I'll save your life if you pay me for it ?
martinbrody wrote:However, impoverishing the populace, by getting them to sell their land to Pharaoh, which also appears to be part of Joseph's plan, does not seem a good idea!
isn't that the first sort of Nationalisation in the Bible ?
Thanks Martin,
Dan.
Hart60

Postby Kira » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:25 pm

It is right to make food available, and the prices have to reflect at least the supply if not also the demand.

The irony of Joseph turning the Egyptian populace into slaves is not coincidental.

I have heard, however, that what he was trying to do was protect his family, to future-proof their status as land-owners, if no one else owned land, and only the priesthood did, and the Jews in Goshen.

Still ironic.

-Kira
Kira

Postby Hart60 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:47 pm

Thanks Kira,that's interesting,I guess his family might have otherwise lost their Jewish identity and gradually merged into the Egyptian community.
I would imagine Joseph put some sort of welfare system in place during the famine for Egyptians with no money at all for food.
Hart60

Return to Learning Forum