Making Kiddush

Discussing what is the right thing to say, and the right way to act, in situations arising in a Torah environment.
Forum rules
Please be sure that whatever case you relate has been changed enough to protect the innocent.

Re: Making Kiddush

Postby martinbrody » Mon May 17, 2010 1:00 pm

Enora wrote:
If somebody makes a mistake, let it pass.

Yeah ok but if they mumbled or made a mistake and they're reciting it for you, would it even be valid? Or would you have to say it again for yourself?
(just to be precise though, let's say the mumbling or mistakes happens in the actual bracha "Baruch ata......... bore peri hagefen")
I don't think most people get offended when they're corrected on a word or two. (uh and do most people even make a mistake in the actual sentence anyways?? Mumble they do sometimes....)

Can't you just accompany the person reciting kiddush? Say it loud enough so you can hear it?
I know in my community often the men will do kiddush out loud together.

What I don't get is , if a person insists on reciting kiddush for themselves, it's that they have a issue with "the other person" reciting it for them... if you have such an issue with a person, why are you eating over at their house? What the food's kosher but not the rest? I don't get it and as my husband says "a person does that in MY house, he's not ever invited back" and I agree.

Agreed.(And if somebody mumbles the bracha say it quietly to yourself if you have to)
Best,
Martin B
martinbrody

Postby Kira » Mon May 17, 2010 2:15 pm

"a person does that in MY house, he's not ever invited back" and I agree.
Oooh, now we're on track for the purpose of this forum!

But let's assume that we want to avoid making permanent enemies of our hosts or guests?

Is there anything that can or should be said?

-Kira
Kira

Postby Enora » Mon May 17, 2010 4:36 pm

Why make enemies? Not inviting them back doesn't mean they're enemies. It just means you won't be inviting them twice.
You're probably more social then we are lol.
If you know the people well, I guess you can ask them their reasons and by doing so, subtly slip in whatever you feel you should tell them.

Ahhh right, what should you tell them? lol
Enora

Postby Saronic » Tue May 18, 2010 4:51 pm

Edited Out - Accidental Repost
Last edited by Saronic on Tue May 18, 2010 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saronic

Postby Saronic » Tue May 18, 2010 4:55 pm

Kira wrote: What happens? That you forget that someone's making kiddush for you?

Yes. I'll space out and only hear the first and last three words.

I think I'll wait a good 50 years before correcting anybody on their Hebrew Grammar. I am too young and too ignorant to seriously expect anybody to listen to me, even if what I say is factual.
Saronic

Postby Enora » Thu May 20, 2010 8:14 pm

When I meant "correcting" I didn't mean correcting grammar. If they're making a mistake in the actual bracha (baruch ata.. hagefen)...we're not even talking about grammar lol.
Of course it all depends on the situation. Who's house you're at, how well you know them etc.
There are always tactful solutions.
Enora

Postby Kira » Mon May 24, 2010 6:36 am

Could you share some?

I find it interesting to think about tactful ways of getting out of sticky situations

-Kira
Kira

Postby Enora » Mon May 24, 2010 12:23 pm

Kira wrote:
Could you share some?

I find it interesting to think about tactful ways of getting out of sticky situations

-Kira

But Kira, I would have to be in the situation and I'm not!
Insisting on saying kiddush for one's self, isn't, at first glance, assur (it's not elegant many of us will agree).
So why is the situation sticky?
Awkward perhaps but sticky?
Enora

Postby Kira » Mon May 24, 2010 3:21 pm

ok, not "sticky"

Awkward
Kira

Postby rivka » Mon May 24, 2010 3:34 pm

Unless someone spilled!
rivka