Celery on Rosh Hashanah.

Discussing what is the right thing to say, and the right way to act, in situations arising in a Torah environment.
Forum rules
Please be sure that whatever case you relate has been changed enough to protect the innocent.

Celery on Rosh Hashanah.

Postby Sander » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:07 pm

I adopted a custom that I saw about 10 years ago, to eat celery with raisins on the second day of Rosh Hashanah. It is tasty, sort of like a Waldorf salad.

Anyway, the custom is to give people at the table celery and raisins together (and a little mayonnaise, optional), and say "May you ( mayo nnaise ) have a raise in ( raisin) salary (celery ) "
Sander

Re: Celery on Rosh Hashanah.

Postby Enora » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:37 pm

Nice lol...
Enora

Postby rivka » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:25 am

The way I was taught it, the raisins are supposed to be cut in half.
rivka

Postby Kira » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:32 pm

I haven't heard the mayo version. Excellent.

It's not any worse than any of the other puns ("rubiah?")

We do a superset, from all the communities, as printed in the R"H benschers. It includes leeks, dates, beans, beets, and of course the usual apples & honey, head of fish (since they no longer sell them, we shape our challa in the form of fish, and kill 2 yehi-ratzons with one hamotzi), and pomegranates (that just came into season in E. Yisrael)

But no nuts ;)

-Kira
Kira

Postby Enora » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:41 pm

YIKES!
fish head , almost forgot the fish head!!!
Enora

Postby Kira » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:52 am

That's 2 separate things - fish (that we should multiply like), and head (that we should be a head and not a tail, kind of strange sentiment, but ok). We used to combine the two, but now they shop off all fish heads in the supermarket and I'm not making a special trip to the fish store, I have enough to do. So we "cheat".

Umm... can anyone think of one for chocolate?

-Kira
Kira

Postby Enora » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:14 am

In France, they won't sell you any part of the head of an animal (bovine or ovine) anymore.
So everyone does the fishhead.
Custom I'll keep even despite being able to get the real thing, here in morocco.
Enora

Postby rivka » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:14 am

I spent Rosh Hashanah with my brother and SIL and their girls. My SIL serves very, very tiny fish heads.

She cuts them off of these:
rivka

Postby Enora » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:26 pm

THAT IS SO COOL!!!!!!! What a great idea! lol
I'm doing that next year!

Interesting thing happened to us this Rosh Hashana.
In morocco, I see pomegranates all year round. So I go to the supermarket on the day before RH and of course... NO pomegranates.... ANYWHERE.
Just my luck.
Now my husband's good friend is originally from the souss region of morocco, in the southern atlas mountains. A berber.
He had borrowed our 4X4 to drive down and pick his mother up from their house in Tafraout and bring her back in time for the end of the ramadan.
So he drops the car off an hour before RH. Walks through the door with a BAG FULL of pomegranates and tells me "my mother said that I needed to give you these... don't ask me why but she insisted".
These people had grown up in the mountains side by side with jewish communities. She knew I needed pomegranates for Rosh Hashana.
Sweet eh?
Enora

Postby rivka » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:59 pm

Enora wrote:THAT IS SO COOL!!!!!!! What a great idea! lol
I'm doing that next year!

My reaction exactly. :D
rivka

Next

Return to Torah Etiquette