Bensching

Discussing what is the right thing to say, and the right way to act, in situations arising in a Torah environment.
Forum rules
Please be sure that whatever case you relate has been changed enough to protect the innocent.

Re: Bensching

Postby LittleGator » Thu May 06, 2010 12:33 pm

Thank-you Ms. Enora, that sounds lovely. I have not been so fortunate to attend such a Shabbat.
Ours are very small, and have been a process of learning. And alot of trial and error over the years. We live in a very small town, where there are no Jewish families as far as I know. Which is unfortunate. As we are a rather isolated family of noahides, in a very southern town.
Fear and Love
Patience and Restraint
LittleGator

Postby Kira » Thu May 06, 2010 6:22 pm

Hah, Enora

We might be Ashkenazi, but I do believe people are happy to be invited to our house, both for the food and for the company!

Hanging out until Minha sound tiring. When do you nap?

-Kira
Kira

Postby Enora » Thu May 06, 2010 10:57 pm

Kira wrote:Hah, Enora

We might be Ashkenazi, but I do believe people are happy to be invited to our house, both for the food and for the company!

Has ve shalom I never meant to imply the opposite!!
In my circle, you get better food then conversation. Education amongst most moroccan is recent, especially quality education. Not to mention we have a huge problem, even in France, with many private jewish schools (of course sephardi/moroccan for the most part). I have met people who are born and raised in France but can't write a sentence without spelling mistakes. I STINK at anything related to math and yet these people surpass me in numerical illiteracy. You'd think they were "better" at, I dunno, Gemara, Halakha... wrong. They suck at that too. Sephardi yeshivot are full of these kids.
But their moms cook good food.
Hanging out until Minha sound tiring. When do you nap?
-Kira

When the conversation starts to slow down lol.
The men wander off , in full blown Dafina effect. They're snoring within 20 minutes.
If you're married, you get a spare room. The women talk and try to get you to talk too. It's kind of like a tupperware party without the goods.
I think the men here in my community would give me a lost stare if I mentioned the words women and shiur in the same phrase. So it's not like the ladies have anything else to do.
I'm kind of spiritually depressed by all this lately but that's another subject.
Enora

Postby Kira » Fri May 07, 2010 2:37 pm

http://www.matan.org.il/eng/all.asp

Shabbat Shalom - and enjoy the food!

-Kira
Kira

Postby Enora » Fri May 07, 2010 5:16 pm

That is exactly the kind of site I needed!! Thank you so much! Too bad it's right before shabbat lol, I'll have to wait!
Shabbat shalom to you too. Enjoy the food AND the good conversation ;)
Enora

Postby martinbrody » Mon May 10, 2010 2:50 am

Enora whips out the "cognac, calvados, grand marnier"

Now, there are some wonderful kosher Cognacs, and by definition calvados are kosher but I have never seen kosher Grand Marnier, although I was told there is some available.
What do you have, Enora? Is it a special run?
L'chaim,
Martin B
martinbrody

Postby Enora » Mon May 10, 2010 12:23 pm

Checked the liqueur cabinet
Cognac is Louis Royer XO, only one we've ever found in France.
The Grand Marnier isn't Grand marnier lol, it's Cointreau my mistake (not as if I drink that stuff... I drink "fake" baileys)
Enora

Postby martinbrody » Mon May 10, 2010 5:01 pm

Enora wrote:Checked the liqueur cabinet
Cognac is Louis Royer XO, only one we've ever found in France.
The Grand Marnier isn't Grand marnier lol, it's Cointreau my mistake (not as if I drink that stuff... I drink "fake" baileys)

Ah, that makes sense. I Have the LR XO.There's also Montaigne, 3star, Napoleon and XO. Excellent stuff.
Why fake Baileys and not the real stuff?
L'chaim,
Martin B
martinbrody

Postby Yisroelp » Tue May 11, 2010 5:35 am

martinbrody wrote:Why fake Baileys and not the real stuff?
L'chaim,
Martin B

Probably 'cos it's milchig.
Yisroel Phillips
Yisroelp

Postby Enora » Tue May 11, 2010 9:45 am

I can't FIND real (kosher) Baileys.
A few years ago, Bailey's was on the French Consistoire's food list... they took it off. Why? I don't know (it's not the milk, there are tons of other products on the list made from non shamur milk)
When it comes to non french liqueurs , the French Consistoire's List might not be, um.. "the best"?
Is Baileys on the UK's list?

And yup the fake stuff is parve. Not a drop of milk.... nor whisky in it. :(
Enora

PreviousNext

Return to Torah Etiquette