Bensching

Discussing what is the right thing to say, and the right way to act, in situations arising in a Torah environment.
Forum rules
Please be sure that whatever case you relate has been changed enough to protect the innocent.

Re: Bensching

Postby martinbrody » Tue May 11, 2010 2:02 pm

Enora wrote:I can't FIND real (kosher) Baileys.
A few years ago, Bailey's was on the French Consistoire's food list... they took it off. Why? I don't know (it's not the milk, there are tons of other products on the list made from non shamur milk)
When it comes to non french liqueurs , the French Consistoire's List might not be, um.. "the best"?
Is Baileys on the UK's list?

And yup the fake stuff is parve. Not a drop of milk.... nor whisky in it. :(

Yup.Approved by the LBD.
No idea why somebody would have a problem with it, other than it's not CY, or the agencies are concerned the consumers are idiots and may miss the fact that it is dairy!
A Sante
Martin B
martinbrody

Postby Enora » Tue May 11, 2010 4:03 pm

No idea why somebody would have a problem with it, other than it's not CY, or the agencies are concerned the consumers are idiots and may miss the fact that it is dairy!

It's on the LIST!!!!????? YAYYYYYY
wait wait wait, does it need an OU or other hescher on it?
Does the London Beth Din have their list online?

Why the French don't have it, I mean, no longer have it on their list? **shrug**
Kashrut is also a business. **sneaks out before being accused of lashon hara**
In the french BD defense, for "local" products, I'd trust the beth din of the country it's made in.
Enora

Postby martinbrody » Tue May 11, 2010 5:45 pm

Enora wrote:

It's on the LIST!!!!????? YAYYYYYY
wait wait wait, does it need an OU or other hescher on it?
Does the London Beth Din have their list online?

Why the French don't have it, I mean, no longer have it on their list? **shrug**
Kashrut is also a business. **sneaks out before being accused of lashon hara**
In the french BD defense, for "local" products, I'd trust the beth din of the country it's made in.

LBD list in not online. It's in their booklet, the Realy Kosher Food Guide. You can go online and ask them specific questions about products and get e-mail or text updates.
Products approved by the LBD, do not need a hecksher,. Indeed, there are thousands of products approved just based on the ingredient list.
However, some companies want to have a hecksher and will pay the LBD to supervise them.
Famously, Mars just did it, even though their(kosher) products were approved anyway.
( Another agency was claiming that Mars products were not kosher because of some whey powder or something similar. The LBD never accepted that unneccessary stringency.)
Enjoy your (real) Baileys!
L'chaim,
M
martinbrody

Postby Enora » Tue May 11, 2010 7:21 pm

Martin, you are my hero!
CHEERS!
Enora

Postby Yisroelp » Tue May 11, 2010 8:52 pm

[quote="martinbrody"]LBD list in not online.

Oh, but it is! And it's bang up to date.

See http://www.theus.org.uk/jewish_living/keeping_kosher/keeping_kosher/kosher_product_search/

Type in Baileys and see what you get.
Yisroel Phillips
Yisroelp

Postby rivka » Tue May 11, 2010 10:27 pm

And what about Baileys for sale in the US? Does anyone know?
rivka

Postby Enora » Tue May 11, 2010 10:41 pm

Yisroelp wrote:
martinbrody wrote:LBD list in not online.

See http://www.theus.org.uk/jewish_living/keeping_kosher/keeping_kosher/kosher_product_search/

WOW ALL 4 varieties too!!!!
I can't believe it!! I've been cheated out of baileys for over 3 years now!
Ty Yisroel for the link!

The French Beth din (not Paris BD) has a list with products for a couple european countries (switzerland, netherlands, spain, italy etc)
pdf here: http://www.consistoiredefrance.fr/docum ... cacher.pdf

I checked all those countries lists and only in the Netherland's list does it say
"FOLLOWING THE LONDON BETH ARE PER-MITTED:
Amaretto di Saronno, Baileys Original Irish Cream (d), Termicalva Calvados, Kahlua, Malibu, Massenez Calvados, Pernod, Tia Maria"
Wtf. I'm not even going to try to understand (isn't all bailey's produced in Dublin? It's not like it's made in various places, like nutella).
Enora

Postby martinbrody » Wed May 12, 2010 12:40 am

rivka wrote:And what about Baileys for sale in the US? Does anyone know?

Yes, Kosher!
(Ask your Rabbi!. BTW, he had me working on a CY run! Nothing's happened yet.)
L'Chaim,
Martin B
martinbrody

Postby martinbrody » Wed May 12, 2010 12:58 am

Yisroelp wrote:
martinbrody wrote:LBD list in not online.

Hi R.Yisroel,
Is all well?
Might be seeing you again soon.

Yes, online for product search or to ask a specific question. But the booklet isn't.
I wish it were so that people can see all the blanket heterim the LBD give for various products based on the ingredient list.
You have to come to a nutty place like Los Angeles, where only such and such heksher is any good, and where the local kashrus agencies won't allow a Chinese restaurant to sell Chinese beer! I kid you not.
(And I ignore all of them! Especialy now that they have jumped on the parasites in fish bandwagon)

Best,
Martin B
martinbrody

Postby Kira » Wed May 12, 2010 8:49 pm

Baileys in time for Shavuos, nice...

But now that we're on the topic of alcohol, please take a look at the new Kiddush thread

-Kira
Kira

Previous

Return to Torah Etiquette