Has G-d ever changed a commandment ?

A place to discuss what it means to serve G-d for those who don't happen to be Jewish.

Hassidic Gentile? Ben/Bat Noach? Whatever you call yourself, you are welcome.
Forum rules
1. Polite discourse only. No ad hominem attacks or any other name-calling
2. No politics.
3. No bashing other religions, but it is ok to discuss how a Ben Noach might relate to other religions.
4. NO MISSIONARIES! Not even for Karaites.
5. Moderators may delete or break links to other web sites.
6. This is an Orthodox forum. Attacks on Halacha will not be tolerated.
7. Moderators reserve full rights to edit and delete posts, and ban users.

Has G-d ever changed a commandment ?

Postby Hart60 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:32 am

Shabbat shalom,
Just wondering , Is there anywhere in scripture where G-d changes a previous commandment ?

Dan.
Hart60

Re: Has G-d ever changed a commandment ?

Postby Kira » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:13 pm

Within the 5 books of Moses, yes, in a way.

Originally, the Cohanim were supposed to have been the first-born of every family, and they served as such immediately after the Revelation at Sinai (Exodus 24:5). Due to the Sin of the Golden Calf, they were stripped of that privilege, and it was given to Aharon and his sons, and to the tribe of Levi.

However, it is important to note a few things. First, the actual commandment given in Exodus (13:2), "Sanctify each first born to me" was not changed and nullified. Its implementation and purpose changed to a degree, but the actual commandment remained. We still must "redeem" our first born. Second, there was never a commandment given that the first born shall serve in the Mishkan (Tabernacle).

Thus, it would be misleading to say that G-d changed even this commandment.

Certainly, after Moses died, there could be no further prophecy at that level of authority, and nothing could be changed.

Hope this helps,

-Kira
Kira

Postby Hart60 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:28 pm

Thanks Kira, yes it does,
looking deeper into that,did G-d change his commandment in Numbers ?

Ex.13:2 – “Sanctify to Me every firstborn, every one that opens the womb among the children of Israel among man and among animals; it is Mine."

Num. 8:18 – “And I have taken the Levites instead of all the firstborn of the children of Israel.”

but then Hashem also confirmed Ex 13:2 in Num. 8:17
“For all the firstborn among the children of Israel are Mine whether man or beast since the day I smote all the firstborn in the land of Egypt; I have sanctified them for Myself.”

Or is the difference ( meaning Cohanim ) in the word "Sanctify" ?

Dan.
Hart60

Postby Kira » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:26 am

"Sanctify" is a very broad concept.

See also Exodus 28, when G-d chooses Aharon and his sons. (There's difference of opinion whether this commandment was given before or after the Sin of the Golden Calf ... as we know, the Torah is not written in strict chronological order)

It's worthwhile looking at the verbs used... but I need more time to analyze it

-Kira
Kira

Postby Hart60 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:50 pm

Thanks Kira.

Dan.
Hart60

Postby Poster » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:04 pm

The laws of Noach applied to everyone.

For the Jews, the laws of the Torah *replaced* the laws of Noach.

Also, the original exit from Egpyt included commands which were modified at Sinai.

For instance, I don't think the fleeing Jews were required to hunt for and destroy chometz, eat Shmurah matzah, nor where they required to commemorate with a sacrifice in the Temple the very Exodus they were currently undertaking.

What are you doing?

I'm watching the field to make sure that none of the wheat becomes chometz.

Why?

Because in a few months, we're going to have these miracles and flee this land of Egypt, and one of the requirements is that I eat only shmurah matzah.

Oh.
Poster

Postby Kira » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:21 pm

For instance, I don't think the fleeing Jews were required to hunt for and destroy chometz, eat Shmurah matzah, nor where they required to commemorate with a sacrifice in the Temple the very Exodus they were currently undertaking.
Huh? You mean the other way around, that we're not required to take a lamb on the 10th of the month and keep it in our houses.

But that's clear from the commandments, that they were given for that time and not for all time.

-Kira
Kira

Postby Hart60 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:13 pm

Poster wrote:The laws of Noach applied to everyone.
Yes, but there weren't any Jews when the Noahide laws were given so in a way they were new laws not ones that G-d changed.

Dan.
Hart60

Postby aries » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:32 am

Hart60 wrote:
Poster wrote:The laws of Noach applied to everyone.
Yes, but there weren't any Jews when the Noahide laws were given so in a way they were new laws not ones that G-d changed.

Dan.

But the Bnei Yisrael did observe the Noachite laws. Our Rabbis state the all of the laws before Sinai need not be observed unless reconfirmed at Sinai with the notable exception of gid hanesheh (part of the hind part of the cows leg). For example, Avraham was commanded to do circumcision for all his children but this had to be re-stated at Sinai.
Aryeh Shore
aries

Return to Children of Noah